Author Topic: Quick query - hot start issue  (Read 1036 times)

Offline jmsheahan

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,147
Quick query - hot start issue
« on: 31 October 2010, 22:11 »
My mk2 digi has been a pain to start from hot. Cold it starts first time every time but when hot sometimes is temperamental to fire.

I was wondering if this could be a duff battery as when I try to turn it over when hot it gives all the symptoms of a flat one i.e whirr of the starter, dim lights etc. Will put a volt meter on it and check the health but just thought I'd put the question out  :smiley:

Cheers

Offline mwep201081

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 356
Re: Quick query - hot start issue
« Reply #1 on: 31 October 2010, 23:36 »
when was the last service? oil/filters/plugs/leads/cap/rotor etc?

Offline jmsheahan

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,147
Re: Quick query - hot start issue
« Reply #2 on: 31 October 2010, 23:58 »
Other than the oil, very recently.

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Quick query - hot start issue
« Reply #3 on: 01 November 2010, 09:29 »
could be the starter motor not liking the heat. take all the battery, starter and alt wires off, clean connections up till shiny then refit. may be worth upgrading the battery caBabling.  mk3 golf +ve cables fit, chunky and better clamp design. -ve doesnt quite, need to add a short bit between earth stud and the ring on the mk3 cable. if you can find a b4 passat in scrappy some models o them have one which bolts right on.
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline jmsheahan

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,147
Re: Quick query - hot start issue
« Reply #4 on: 01 November 2010, 20:38 »
Cheers for the heads up RJ.