Author Topic: Stupid F**kig EL foil!!!!  (Read 2205 times)

Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327
Stupid F**kig EL foil!!!!
« on: 29 October 2010, 16:24 »
This is more a rant then anything else but Ive been waiting a month for my new dials to arrive, ive had my EL foil cut and ready to use to back light them so I could put it all together and today was that day.

I have spent 6 hours putting my clocks together, calibrating the speedo needle, wiring everything up and putting it all back in my car.

I connect my clocks and the EL foil lights up my speedo and rev counter perfectly, It looked seriously awesome, So then I connect everything else up and then switch my lights on... only the rev counter lights up, I try desperately to find out what's wrong without taking everything out again but its no good, so out come all the buttons, the stereo and the dash panel again, I take out my clocks and all the wiring is as it was, and after a bit of prodding about the rev counter foil dies on me too...

So now ive spend loads of time and money and I need to buy another 40 quid sheet of EL foil...which will probably do the same thing.


Does anyone know anything about this foil and can tell me what might of happened, how to avoid it, ANY tips AT ALL, cause this is starting to take the piss, im sick of my dash being in bits :(

Offline apie2004

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 296
Re: Stupid F**kig EL foil!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 29 October 2010, 17:01 »
Always check for an adams apple.

Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327
Re: Stupid F**kig EL foil!!!!
« Reply #2 on: 29 October 2010, 17:08 »
Always check for an adams apple.

What?

Offline The Mighty Elvi

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,403
  • I'm better than you today.
Re: Stupid F**kig EL foil!!!!
« Reply #3 on: 29 October 2010, 17:19 »
Did you cut the foil in to separate peices, or kept it whole and trimmed it.

As long as you're getting 12v through, it should light up.

Can you post some pics?



Offline apie2004

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 296
Re: Stupid F**kig EL foil!!!!
« Reply #4 on: 29 October 2010, 17:27 »
This is more a rant then anything else but Ive been waiting a month for my new dials to arrive, ive had my EL foil cut and ready to use to back light them so I could put it all together and today was that day.

I have spent 6 hours putting my clocks together, calibrating the speedo needle, wiring everything up and putting it all back in my car.

I connect my clocks and the EL foil lights up my speedo and rev counter perfectly, It looked seriously awesome, So then I connect everything else up and then switch my lights on... only the rev counter lights up, I try desperately to find out what's wrong without taking everything out again but its no good, so out come all the buttons, the stereo and the dash panel again, I take out my clocks and all the wiring is as it was, and after a bit of prodding about the rev counter foil dies on me too...

So now ive spend loads of time and money and I need to buy another 40 quid sheet of EL foil...which will probably do the same thing.


Does anyone know anything about this foil and can tell me what might of happened, how to avoid it, ANY tips AT ALL, cause this is starting to take the piss, im sick of my dash being in bits :(

He asked for any tips, my one is one of the best pieces of advice I have ever recieved.

Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327
Re: Stupid F**kig EL foil!!!!
« Reply #5 on: 29 October 2010, 17:58 »
Did you cut the foil in to separate peices, or kept it whole and trimmed it.

As long as you're getting 12v through, it should light up.

Can you post some pics?




Yeh, il post some tomorrow, im gonna go and get rat arsed now so hopefully il forget how much time I wasted and how pissed off I am.

*sigh*

I had cut it into separate bits, the sheet I got came with 4 sets of connectors, one set on each side, the connectors were so tiny that I couldn't find connectors to go on them So I soldered the wires onto them, im thinking maybe il try using crocodile clips instead as ive seen that done.

The whole things just to annoying, I cant remember being so disappointed.

Offline The Mighty Elvi

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,403
  • I'm better than you today.
Re: Stupid F**kig EL foil!!!!
« Reply #6 on: 29 October 2010, 22:50 »

The whole things just to annoying, I cant remember being so disappointed.


I can, at apie2004's "joke".