Author Topic: electrical gremlins  (Read 1990 times)

Offline weazgti

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 955
electrical gremlins
« on: 23 October 2010, 20:38 »
Need urgent help with the electrics on my other golf before i end up cubeing it. I have a weird rear intermittant wipe,there s no pattern to where it goes it just stops where it feels like every time and also the mfa doesnt work. I have changed the stalk which made no difference and i have tried swapping the wiper relay with a working one but no change.
Im sure i ve seen a similar post on here before but i cant find it now.
Any ideas people?

Many thanks

Offline Thom89

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,092
  • Looking for an "Icebreaker"
Re: electrical gremlins
« Reply #1 on: 24 October 2010, 02:07 »
Rear wiper problems can usually be put down to broken wires between the roof and the tailgate. open the tailgate, and locate wires top left, pull back the cover and check carefully all the wires, solder and heat shrink any broken wires you may find..

Thom

Offline weazgti

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 955
Re: electrical gremlins
« Reply #2 on: 24 October 2010, 09:36 »
Will check that today, thanks

No idea what to do next with the mfa though, the wires are on the side of the head and pulling the fuse doesnt help.
Dont think its clocks related because the rev counter works although i havent checked to see if the vac pipe is connected on  the back. Hmmm...
« Last Edit: 24 October 2010, 09:40 by weazgti »

Offline Thom89

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,092
  • Looking for an "Icebreaker"
Re: electrical gremlins
« Reply #3 on: 24 October 2010, 12:47 »
Sorry I cant help on the MFA problem, not my thing :wink:
Thom

Offline weazgti

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 955
Re: electrical gremlins
« Reply #4 on: 24 October 2010, 18:47 »
Wiper wires going through boot have been repaired before but wiggling does nothing.

Mfa is like its not plugged in to anything. Is there a plug somewhere because the clock works just nothing on the button.

Offline l333

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 152
  • mk2 8v....mk3 8v....mk3 16v.... who says im greedy
Re: electrical gremlins
« Reply #5 on: 24 October 2010, 19:44 »
hi the rear wiper is probably the park track inside the motor. and the mfa mine was the same when i brought a set of 160 clocks off good old ebay recently so i had to buy another set and put it down to learning to ask and make sure everything worked before i buy!!!!!

Offline weazgti

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 955
Re: electrical gremlins
« Reply #6 on: 24 October 2010, 21:31 »
New set of clocks and wiper motor then should sort it.
Thanks for the reply.

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: electrical gremlins
« Reply #7 on: 25 October 2010, 10:48 »
there is a 4 pin plug for the mfa stalk under the ignition housing plastic trim, its seperate to the stalk connectors follow the wire from the stalks
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline weazgti

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 955
Re: electrical gremlins
« Reply #8 on: 25 October 2010, 10:59 »
Got the small black plug in under the column rj.
I might be looking into it too much to be honest because of the mess behind the fusebox. Theres wires taped up and reconnected all over and some plugs dangling. They probably got nothing to do with mfa for all i know

Offline weazgti

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 955
Re: electrical gremlins
« Reply #9 on: 30 October 2010, 11:35 »
Gonna try another set of clocks although the ones on looked ok to me nothing obvious like burnt tracks or anything. It seems quite common on here that when the clocks die the rev counter and mfa go together which isnt the case with mine because the rev counter works.
The wiper issues are doing my head in because i ve changed everything now. So far its had new motor,new relay,linkage removed and lubricated,wiring running through hatch checked and new stalks. It works ok if i hold it it just doesnt return to where its supposed to when the relay clicks off.
Run out of ideas now,what should i check next?