Author Topic: Oil and grease  (Read 3147 times)

Offline dadrathers

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 385
Oil and grease
« on: 22 October 2010, 21:38 »
I am never quite sure in some situations which I should use.

For example, have to use oil in the actual door lock but would use grease on the door stay.

Is there a rule, is it techncial or just that it is all to do with access. In the example you would be hard pressed to put grease into the door lock and would be too thick anyway - so it is obvious in this case.

Something to ponder?? as examples, on the gear linkages and the windscreen wiper linkages is it oil or grease????????

Offline rob.043

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 496
Re: Oil and grease
« Reply #1 on: 23 October 2010, 09:47 »
If its something being lubricated once in a blue moon- grease will provide better longevity as it stays where you put it, but can be more likely to have filth sticking to it, depending where you use it....

There is an impressively large range of lubricant products out there, to suit all sort of requirements and operating conditions, so it can be a challenge finding the most suitable.

Thats why WD40 was invented.

Offline cняis

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,034
  • Know there's something burning over there...
Re: Oil and grease
« Reply #2 on: 24 October 2010, 12:46 »
wd40 doesnt stick to anything so its not exactly a long term lube, use it ONLY for temporarily unsticking things

white spray grease is ideal for locks and handles, as it stays put. 100+ spray grease is too runny.


I don't think a semi will give the same results

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Oil and grease
« Reply #3 on: 25 October 2010, 10:45 »
you should only use wd40 to disperse water, as that is what it is for. you want something to release stuck things use a proper penetrating oil it'll work much better. for door locks you should go easy on the spray lube as dirt can stick to it, assemble em dry as long as clean they should be fine. ive heard graphite stuff is best for lock fingers
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: Oil and grease
« Reply #4 on: 25 October 2010, 13:05 »
Anthing with moving parts I would only use Lithium grease you can buy a tub of it for a £5 odd 

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: Oil and grease
« Reply #5 on: 25 October 2010, 13:26 »
Its moly, copper slip, GT-85 or lithium spray for lubrication for me.

If its an area that I'll could be in contact with when I'm clean (ie. bonnet release), then I'll use a thin grease GT85/lithium.

If its an area I'll only be around when I'm fixing the car that needs generic lube (ie. wheel bolts), then its copper slip

Moly is used in the specific areas where its required (ie. CV joints, starter motor etc)

Offline rob.043

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 496
Re: Oil and grease
« Reply #6 on: 25 October 2010, 14:06 »
Id go with a grease on wiper linkages....

WD40 is ok for cleaning things!

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: Oil and grease
« Reply #7 on: 25 October 2010, 16:22 »
Something to ponder?? as examples, on the gear linkages and the windscreen wiper linkages is it oil or grease????????

Didn't spot this.

I'd probaby go Moly for gear/wiper linkages and copper slip for wiper spindle (as its a high temp compound).

Offline dadrathers

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 385
Re: Oil and grease
« Reply #8 on: 29 October 2010, 21:50 »
Thanks guys

I thought it might be technical but it seems to be as much personal preference.

Seems like I should get a few items stacked up in front of me and then scratch my head and apply the one that (to me ) seems best - is nothing ever simple?

Offline danny_p

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,644
Re: Oil and grease
« Reply #9 on: 30 October 2010, 00:02 »
copper slip for things that get HOT!!! or bolts that you don't want to corrode together and or where dissimalar metals meet ( wheel / hub )

white grease for door hinges.

light oil for locks, bonnet hinges.

plus gas for unsticking stuck bolts.

lithium moly grease for cv joints wheelaberaings and other components requireing a grease that tolerates high loads and tempritures

bog std grease for pins, bushes, uj's or it would be if i chould be arsed to have 2 tubs of grease to move about, at £30 for 50kg everything gets lithium moly grease


all the VW's have gone bar 1.