Author Topic: Brakes cause the drivers side indicators to illuminate?  (Read 2093 times)

Offline russ-vdub

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,350
  • Once a Dub, Always a Dub
Hey peeps..

I guess this is an earth issue but have no idea where to start.. Also when the lights are on and the brake is pressed, it takes out the light for them on the rear cluster whilst also putting on the indicator bulbs on the whole offside  :undecided:

Need some help prono really as need to drive the motor tonight but don't fancy getting pulled for something so trivial :(

Cheers dudes!


Offline russ-vdub

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,350
  • Once a Dub, Always a Dub
Re: Brakes cause the drivers side indicators to illuminate?
« Reply #2 on: 07 October 2010, 19:21 »
If that was the case surely all the indicators would come on and not just the drivers side? Hence why i think its an earth issue or maybe a stalk issue after reading doing some searching..

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: Brakes cause the drivers side indicators to illuminate?
« Reply #3 on: 07 October 2010, 19:26 »
Its a start mate, trace the wires back and see if anything is touching or grounding out?
It could be just a faulty relay for the indicators to drivers side?
You know it could be anywhere along those wires or just a dodgy indicator stalk?
 

Offline russ-vdub

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,350
  • Once a Dub, Always a Dub
Re: Brakes cause the drivers side indicators to illuminate?
« Reply #4 on: 07 October 2010, 21:55 »
Yeah found out it is doing constantly on the drivers side now not just with the brake light.. Makes it easier to trace now.. Makes the nearside brake light flash tho when on lol. Crazy! Hoping its the relay.

Offline brendan

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 193
Re: Brakes cause the drivers side indicators to illuminate?
« Reply #5 on: 07 October 2010, 22:11 »
Have you changed the bulb recently? I found once on a car that when someone put the wrong bulb in it caused this fault. Just a thought.
2009 Ford Focus ST2 - 288bhp, 390lb/ft

Offline russ-vdub

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,350
  • Once a Dub, Always a Dub
Re: Brakes cause the drivers side indicators to illuminate?
« Reply #6 on: 07 October 2010, 22:22 »
Hmm nah havent changed any bulbs.. Have done some wiring with the HU recently but i'm pretty sure that was after this started happening... Could be a dodge hazard switch, guna try a few things now ;)

Offline russ-vdub

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,350
  • Once a Dub, Always a Dub
Re: Brakes cause the drivers side indicators to illuminate?
« Reply #7 on: 07 October 2010, 23:03 »
OK not the hazard switch, or the relay.. Duno if this helps but when I changed them both the indictor led on the dash came on constantly and they didnt work at all?? No freaking idea :S

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: Brakes cause the drivers side indicators to illuminate?
« Reply #8 on: 08 October 2010, 13:00 »
Unplug the battery and see if it still does it, if it doesn't, you can safely rule voodoo out as being a cause

Offline russ-vdub

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,350
  • Once a Dub, Always a Dub
Re: Brakes cause the drivers side indicators to illuminate?
« Reply #9 on: 08 October 2010, 13:32 »
Hahah cheer babes!

I got owned with this one - Somehow the plug to the rear lights was half out so plugged it in properly and a problem solved! Beats me how it came unplugged tho, must have been pulled out when the boot was full etc.