Author Topic: Buying New - Big Front Bumpers  (Read 2739 times)

Offline BiGUKG

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 307
  • Simples!
Buying New - Big Front Bumpers
« on: 07 October 2010, 16:07 »
Been looking for one for a while now and had no luck, just wondered if they could be brought for sensible money new and unpainted? Might be worth looking at.

Also - whats the difference between gen and non-gen bumpers?? Very hard to tell the difference from what I've seen?

http://www.vw-southeast.co.uk
"The community for enthusiasts and owners in the South East"

Offline Sam

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,186
  • Sam I am
Re: Buying New - Big Front Bumpers
« Reply #1 on: 07 October 2010, 16:10 »


The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.

Offline BiGUKG

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 307
  • Simples!
Re: Buying New - Big Front Bumpers
« Reply #2 on: 07 October 2010, 16:20 »
Thanks mate, doesn't seem too bad at all!
Guessing they're not genuine but whats the difference??

Surprised how cheap Fog lights are on ebay!

http://www.vw-southeast.co.uk
"The community for enthusiasts and owners in the South East"

Offline X4MGS

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,564
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: Buying New - Big Front Bumpers
« Reply #3 on: 07 October 2010, 16:46 »
Have you tried the stealers for a price??

BBT can be expensive at times...

The other people to try is GPC - Ebay account chubnut9999

HTH

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline dubber36

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 5,536
Re: Buying New - Big Front Bumpers
« Reply #4 on: 07 October 2010, 16:48 »
I bought a rear one of thoughs and you cannot tell the difference between it and an original one. The quality, texture match, finish and fit is spot on. The rear ones do not come with a towing eye cover, but a genuine one will fit.

Beware of cheap fog lights from ebay. Some are very poor quality and can melt or set on fire. Best to hold out for a set of second hand original Hella ones.
« Last Edit: 07 October 2010, 17:46 by dubber36 »
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline X4MGS

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,564
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: Buying New - Big Front Bumpers
« Reply #5 on: 07 October 2010, 16:57 »
I bought a rear one of thoughs and you cannot tell the difference between it and an original one. The quality, texture match, finish and fit is spot on. The rear ones do not come with a towing eye cover, but a genuine one will fit.

Beware of cheap fog lights from ebay. Some are very poor quality and can melt or set on fire. Best to hold out for a set of second hand original Hell ones.

Arn't some parts that BBT sell actual VAG parts - That they have found in Germany Etc??

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline tony_ack

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 757
Re: Buying New - Big Front Bumpers
« Reply #6 on: 07 October 2010, 18:29 »
Some good info in this thread from a couple of weeks ago:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=167608.0

Big bumpers are discontinued from VW, and would have cost a small fortune anyway.

The Big Boys Toys ones are very good if you want new, but you pay for the premium. But considering the total amount of time it will take you to prep, paint, finish and fit, I think it's worth getting something that will look the part. If you can find something cheaper that looks and fits as good as the BBT one, then let us know!

Second hand ones are an option but front bumpers in good condition are hard to find as you have discovered! Plus there's the added hassle of getting the old paint off - even if you find one in the right colour, the chances are it will still need paint.
1992 VW Golf MK2 GTI
1995 VW Corrado VR6

Offline Mr Blue

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 6,133
Re: Buying New - Big Front Bumpers
« Reply #7 on: 07 October 2010, 20:08 »
I dont think gen vag ones are even availible via that classic parts site!

Genuine ones have a moulding line on each corner. Something I look for at shows :nerd:

You can spot a genuine bumper from a pattern a mile off BUT i would use BBT as its almost impossible to find new genuine ones.


Bumper iron - Genuine one clips into place / pattern screws into place.
Bumper side clips - Genuine ones are moulded / pattern use screws.
« Last Edit: 09 October 2010, 11:53 by Mr Blue »
:)

Offline cняis

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,034
  • Know there's something burning over there...
Re: Buying New - Big Front Bumpers
« Reply #8 on: 07 October 2010, 20:55 »
my pattern bumper which i bought from LMC (hadrian) panels is of a very high 3rd party quality.

the iron-work doesnt look to be quite so meaty as OE, but hey, im not aiming to drive into anything  :grin:

Oh and there are no genuine ones left as of 2008  :shocked:

i could take some piccies if you like (tomorrow) bearing in mind its been painted, but not yet fitted  :smiley:


I don't think a semi will give the same results

Offline BiGUKG

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 307
  • Simples!
Re: Buying New - Big Front Bumpers
« Reply #9 on: 07 October 2010, 22:22 »
Pictures would be good mate, I'm thinking I should maybe wait and get one from a scrappy, but then I won't know if it's a gen one anyway so I'm confused.

One scrappy near me has one, £69 delivered, but that doesn't include fog lights, indicators etc and I wouldn't be surprised if that didn't even include the splitter.

So with that £69, proper fogs to avoid problems, new indicators, and possibly a "splitter" or whatever it's called..... it's starting to look quite expensive!

The car is crying out for bigger bumpers though badly! It's got GTi lights, a GTi spoiler, BBS RZs, Arches etc, just missing big bumpers now!

My budget this close to christmas isn't exactly enormous either, actually......I'm skint...... :huh: Don't want it to look shabby though! So what can you do when you get what you pay for? A dilemna.....

http://www.vw-southeast.co.uk
"The community for enthusiasts and owners in the South East"