Author Topic: Thoughts on exhaust connectors  (Read 2405 times)

Offline emery1990

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,196
Thoughts on exhaust connectors
« on: 06 October 2010, 17:40 »
Has anyone got any bad views on exhaust connectors as opposed to welding two pipes together?
« Last Edit: 06 October 2010, 18:18 by emery1990 »

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: Thoughts on exhaust connectors
« Reply #1 on: 06 October 2010, 21:51 »
Surely depends on what you are doing?!

If you are making a 4 branch and plan on holding the mandrel cuts together with sleeve connectors - then you fail.

If you are connecting two standard exhaust fittings together, then exhaust connectors are fine - that's what they are designed for!

Offline emery1990

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,196
Re: Thoughts on exhaust connectors
« Reply #2 on: 07 October 2010, 17:15 »
OK ksuhd, was just bwandering whether they was classed as bodge or not!, yes ive got a new downpipe (standard) but the pipe is like 3 mm narrower than my old one so its not a snug fit in the exhaust joint, tried sleeving it, but couldnt find one the right width, only option ive got left is cut the stainless exhaust and put a smaller joining bit on  :angry:

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: Thoughts on exhaust connectors
« Reply #3 on: 07 October 2010, 17:42 »
You're get there in the end I've got to drop mine at somepoint the rubbers need replacing and some of the connectors have rusted, out comes the blow torch  :evil:

I have about 10cm from floor to splitter thats how low she was riding not surprised the underseal took a hammering! glad mines stainless aswell  :rolleyes:

You might want to zinc some of that steel just stop rust from forming on the end of the stainless pipe!

Offline emery1990

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,196
Re: Thoughts on exhaust connectors
« Reply #4 on: 07 October 2010, 18:23 »
haha yer, ill get there someday  :grin: Its holding up my whole process though!!

My underseal is tired, got a massive rust whole that will prob fail the mot and cause my car to be scrap lol I just snapped my clip off, thought it was undoing!

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: Thoughts on exhaust connectors
« Reply #5 on: 07 October 2010, 18:32 »
Use metal gauze cut it up to shape of the hole and use "liquid metal" sets like metal plates with the gauze in place. I've done that on over zelous drain holes and the stuff looks like underseal which is handy  :wink:
Just remember to treat crust rust to the metal before doing it mate!
 

Offline emery1990

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,196
Re: Thoughts on exhaust connectors
« Reply #6 on: 07 October 2010, 19:04 »
So could that method fix this then http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=163163.0 and no welding is needed, please say yes. Ive bought some krust and have been going mental with it lol!

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: Thoughts on exhaust connectors
« Reply #7 on: 07 October 2010, 19:18 »
Right thats more than a bloody hole mate its on the sill! Can you see right through it?

Offline emery1990

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,196
Re: Thoughts on exhaust connectors
« Reply #8 on: 07 October 2010, 19:45 »
lol yer its on the sill :( I am proper f888ed off tbh, just spent loads on ms and saw some figures on a 9a engine which i got with 150bhp with MS, wtf is the 175bhp and 160lb torque i thought i would get !! And this stupid downpipe lol. and yer if i take my plastic bit off on the door i can see my feet !!

Thinking of getting it back kjet selling all the ms and get the wur mod lol!

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: Thoughts on exhaust connectors
« Reply #9 on: 07 October 2010, 20:48 »
OK sills are important forget everything I said about patching it up You need a MK2 Door skin cut it up and weld up that hole! No compromises no temp fix its a structral part and in a crash your Fooked if that sill gets hit!