Author Topic: ECU temp sender?  (Read 1156 times)

Offline Bottrill

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 21
ECU temp sender?
« on: 06 October 2010, 14:15 »
Hello all,

I am trying to help a friend with a running issue.
Could you please tell me where the ECU temp sender is for an 88' 8v mk2 GTI? It is does not seem to have the blue sender in the top hose as found on the later cars. It has the square (ish) expansion bottle as apposed to the later round versions if that helps.

I have tried a search but nothing that seemed to answer the question. Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks.

1991 G60 Edition One

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: ECU temp sender?
« Reply #1 on: 08 October 2010, 14:46 »
if its an early 88 the sensor may be a white 2 pin one which is screwed into the front metal coolant flange. 2 options, buy a new white 2 pin sensor from vw at around £35+VAT, or change the flange for a later plastic one so you can fit the newer blue temp sensor. you'll also have to change the small black 1 pin sensor for a late 2 pin sensor, and splice the plug onto your loom. On the plug splice 1 pin to the old red/yel wire, run the 2nd wire to ground :)
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.