Author Topic: Starter motor query  (Read 1345 times)

Offline walchy01

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,033
Starter motor query
« on: 05 October 2010, 17:01 »
Hi there

Just wanting to know if the mk2 starter motor is the same starter motor as the 1.8 p reg Vw cab of the wife's???

Thank you

Offline Reasty

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,070
  • Alpine white valver.
Re: Starter motor query
« Reply #1 on: 05 October 2010, 17:55 »
I'm pretty sure mk2s have a vbelt and mk3s have a ribbed belt so not the same and not interchangable,might be wrong but pretty sure I'm right,I'm sure someone will confirm or disagree shortly  :smiley:

Offline Reasty

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,070
  • Alpine white valver.
Re: Starter motor query
« Reply #2 on: 05 October 2010, 17:59 »
Infact ignore me coz I'm talking out alternators DERRR! sorry didn't read the question properly! been a long day  :undecided: still don't think they are the same though and can't be interchanged.

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: Starter motor query
« Reply #3 on: 05 October 2010, 20:36 »
If you have a rod-change box (020) - it should swap, if you have a cable change box (02A) - I don't think it does.

Just go on ECP website, check both cars for the starter motors it recommends and see if any part numbers are the same.

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Starter motor query
« Reply #4 on: 08 October 2010, 14:42 »
it will fit, only difference is the g3 has a different plug on the starter for the trigger wire. you can just push the mk2 spade onto the pin though. mk3 is a better design becasue the plug is waterproof so they dont corrode on the spade like the mk2s do
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.