Author Topic: Cheap headlamp upgrade loom?  (Read 1677 times)

Offline cняis

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,034
  • Know there's something burning over there...
Cheap headlamp upgrade loom?
« on: 04 October 2010, 23:10 »
I was going to make up an upgraded headlamp loom, as the relays etc are dirt cheap and there's a guide on matey-matey.

but i just spotted this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HID-RELAY-WIRING-CABLE-HARNESS-H4-BI-XENON-USE-/120616345300?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c154b5ed4


now then, could i use this (very) cheap loom to power my conventional H4 bulbs? obviously i'd need to chop 2 ballast plugs off and connect H4 plugs on. The loom seems to do the same thing as an upgraded golf loom, taking the signal from the OE H4 circuit, switching a relay which then powers the H4 bulbs directly from the battery.

 :undecided:


I don't think a semi will give the same results

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: Cheap headlamp upgrade loom?
« Reply #1 on: 05 October 2010, 00:58 »
Looks okay to me ... its only £4 - buy it and find out.

You can get the missing bits from here http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/lighting/headlamps.php

Offline cняis

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,034
  • Know there's something burning over there...
Re: Cheap headlamp upgrade loom?
« Reply #2 on: 05 October 2010, 13:35 »
Looks okay to me ... its only £4 - buy it and find out.

You can get the missing bits from here http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/lighting/headlamps.php

working in a factors everything can be had for cheap  :smiley:

i'm going to have a bash at making my own up as i can tailor the layout to my engine bay (i.e. cable length)

i'll need more orange conduit though, nowhere sells orange cable  :grin:


I don't think a semi will give the same results

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author

Offline cняis

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,034
  • Know there's something burning over there...
Re: Cheap headlamp upgrade loom?
« Reply #4 on: 05 October 2010, 22:09 »
Go nuts donuts http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=49436.msg410777#msg410777

whoop whoop:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=143453.msg1564253#msg1564253

only differences i can see are:

you've run individual relays for each lamp, i.e. 2 relays for dipped, 2 relays for main
your relays take battery feed to pin 87b, mine take it to pin 30.


I don't think a semi will give the same results