Author Topic: Gash - "California Golf"  (Read 17423 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Gash - "California Golf"
« on: 03 October 2010, 13:24 »
:)
« Last Edit: 11 December 2011, 13:30 by jv »
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Gash

• I live here
Re: Gash - 16v GTI
« Reply #1 on: 03 October 2010, 15:09 »
Bought myself two weeks ago a mk3 gti 16v... which iv named Ron Burgundy!
145k, full vr6 leather interior. spotless outside with very little rust and all completly standard!
Anyways! here it is!

very high at the moment but already ordered coilovers and they will be on my next weekend!

for £900 im very happy with the car, needs tracking done but going to do that after lowering it.

doing a full service sunday including ngk sparkplugs (has got full service history but going to do it myself and get a stamp)
and changin the standard exhaust for a omp twin one which came with the car and fitting a decat aswel!

before i got the car though i bought some wheels and a smooth bumper.
the bumper had a crack in it so plastic welded it and fillered it now just smoothing over for painting.

also the wheels i bought for DEAD cheap!
old audi speedlines! fake splits i know but hey cant go wrong.

didnt really need a refurb but iv decided to. im painting the centre (not as much as they are now) and polishing the rim. the rear of them needs redoing though as theres a fair bit of corrosion as you can see...

but wire brushed this off..

it came with some metal porsche centre caps so polishing them up like the rim.

one of them was cracked so plastic welded that aswel.

they all ready for painting now.. now to decide a colour! (any help!)

oh yea and the tow bar is coming off! :P
let me know what you think! :)

Offline Gash

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 06 October 2010, 00:28 »
well i went to go fit the exhaust that i had with the car (for free!)

OMP twin pipe (havent seen many of these)

anyways went to jack the car up and the front wasnt rising when i was doing it. looked underneath and well i was a bit shocked!
for the minter i thought i had, had some hidden secrets under then side skirt... or rather nothing under them. found one medium sized whole and a fair amount of rust on the sill... so much so i cant use the front! luckily the rears are ok. so now just going to cut them out and weld in  patches to cover it up. want to do that asap before winter hits in so wait until next pay then do it i think.

... towards the back its not as bad.

front passenger side

would change the whole sill but the top half inside the door is fine so just under the skirt. looks like its were the waters collected. arches are fine luckily!
going to weld it and paint it what ever colour i have, and put the skirts back on, then next year when i repaint the car, have it all one colour :)

also i got bored and painted the foglights yellow although i dont run with my foglights on they were mainly to add a bit of colour. going to tint the rest and paint the inside of the lights.

de wipered and debadged the back too.

towbar to come off this weekend after i get a rear bumper.

oh and coilovers going on thursday!
new 260mm steering wheel (pics soon)
and bushes to be fitted too!

Offline Gash

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 13 October 2010, 19:51 »
lowered! :D

sorted the rear out earlier (but no photos) as was lower in the back than the front and scrubbing alot!

lowered 100 on the front (with helpers out) and 110 on the rear with helper springs in.

i dont know about the tow bar now i kind of like it with it being lowered! :D

bit of camber on the go.

not going to change this until i get the new wheels on. then will sort out the stance properly!

and finally i was testing some colours out!

Offline Gash

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 08 December 2011, 13:01 »
well bloody well i have no tupdated this probably for over a year and since then the car has come ALONG way! doesnt even really look like the same car anymore!! ... although the paint is the same colour :D

been through about 3 sets of wheels, numerous other things and well just better to let some photos do the talking!

iv taking some from another thread which is more up to date off another forum so bare with me if things dont make sense!!

right to update from where i was before....

the wheels i had previously i decided would be too much work to put on so i put them up for sale. they went then i was thinking what to get and what to do with the car! do i keep it a normal gti or do more!?

afterbeing offered a US spec cupholder i was like ummm thats it! i fancied going US spec!
i didnt buy it though mind £30 for two cup holders that dont even fit! nooooo!!!

this is where my hours of doing nothing came into play, uk ebay, germany ebay, american ebay, american forums this is where i spent my time! the only new thing on the car are the coilovers but does that make it bad that iv bought alot of things second hand or off ebay.... no it makes me a tight thingy hahah but well you wont think then when you see how much i spent on my rear console..

Anyways yes i had a list and an overdraft so i went shopping!!
first tried a 280mm momo but was way to small so bought a 330m 3" dished drift wheel

feels and looks great i think!
bought a cupholder from us ebay for £13 delievered!!

these dont fit though as they are LHD so i had to cut the dash alot to get it to fit! i love grinders! haha
Its not carbon either i bought some vinyl so have wrapped a few interior bits.
always loved a vento front so picked one up, split the lights and sprayed them black

have tried standard clear lights but these look alot better!

then all my parts started to arrive
my headlining material (needs to redone as sagged a bit)

for the wheels i didnt know what i wanted, while loooking on ebay one day i seen these and had to have them whether they fitted or not
7j x 16 front
8j x 16 rear
super advans.
needed a repolish/paint but got them cheap so was happy.
alot of my friends were unsure but i thought screw it only money lets see what they look like

theres a photo of them on (fronts unpainted) stance wasnt set either.

this how it sits at the moment (although slightly lower at the front...aka tyre touching arch)

anyways from there as you can see i had a vento front and new wheels (unpainted) this was about febauryish this year.

painted the wheels and got to do some colour coding aswell just before ulitmated dubs 2010. also managed to get my hands on a gen us boot, was in crap condition so ended up smoothing the plinth over and having a custom ish style one.

went to a local meet by me then and had photos taken by a friend as i forgot my memory card! hah heres how it was there... also a few more updates on what the interior roof went like... anyways
this is my roof

although i got rid of the black bits on the bumper etc i still wanted some to break up the car... hense a carbon fibre mirror/mirror blank, satin black grill and badge and blacked lights.
i was going to have a really elaberate design on it first but after pricing it up i thought NO!
settled on this one and i love it! :)
did it myself so isnt perfect but im happy! :)
my amazing audio

the box needed a clean and instead of hoovering it i thought hmmm paint it. so rattle can came out and boom purple!

anyways other photos of the car thanks to some good photographers :)
oh and the reason im missing two strips is because clips were loose and i didnt want to lose them so took them off... tiger seal ftw!

Offline Gash

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 08 December 2011, 13:08 »
looking at that then and how it is now it still seems alot different!!

the engine bay  hadnt had much done to it so i decided to brighten it up more.

painted the manifold fully pink and the plastic above the rad etc sprayed white and then started to draw on it

and new lows

now to me this is starting to look alot better and going towards what i want

Offline Gash

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 08 December 2011, 13:13 »
then came end of may for another show... modified nationals. got the car more done for this, had to do the boot again as some of the filter had cracked.

first got linked to a photo of it on the Speed Hunters website

was rather happy about this!!

just basically tidied it up as much as i could in the time i had spare before mod nats and apart from one or two small things i was happy with how it looked :)

few photos people have taken of the car. iv got a few which il sort out later.
was running my eyebrow too... unfortunatly my flyeyes wasnt here in time

love this photo because of the camber (which i need to run until i get the arches rolled :) )

thought id show these two pics as had a few people ask me if i really drive with it that low

left lots of marks like this at the show ground

just a good thing i didnt lower it more..... im seeing the ease of air at this point BUT doesnt mean il ever get it.

Offline Gash

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 08 December 2011, 13:18 »
photo from accelerate which i got linked to again...

some photos of the car taken about june time!

this is when i had my new US Spec splitter on which came all theway from canada and took 6 weeks! hah

also as you can see alot of the stickers have been removed and a mirro.
my lights have been fly eyed on the front and as i forgot to mention the rear lights i bought from germany and purely by chance the top of the light which has been sprayed red matches the colour or caralmost perfectly so was really happy with that!!

my exhaust also which i was going to use the OMP one i replaced with a full mani back remus system! sounds amazing! although going to tinker it a bit!

Offline Gash

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 08 December 2011, 13:24 »
And now we at my current stage. full US spec front bumper, complete with working running lights, decidedc to get a debadge gril as my eyebrow was being deformed by the badge so!

lowered the car more! but i do have bigger tyres so sort of only a slight bit lower now.

got rid of my normal drivers mirror and replaced it with a shortened DTM (yes they can go smaller!) thanks to one of the members off here.

the wheels if people are asking arent billet ones but because of the style of them i had to get them. they enkei big ends (another reason why i needed them!) they arent as wide or have as good an offset of my advans so im having spacers made. and good thing they in 5x100 fitment! :) They are super rare and although iv seen simular sets iv never seen these ones!!

So future plans? Well for show season next year.. having bigger spacers made, new steering wheel again full respray (same colour) seats being changed aswell as the dash (never done dash in a mk3) just generally a revamp to make it look freah with a few hints of California hot rodness. Oh and to tie in with my cali styling iv got myself a lowrider bike... which I also lowered!

Few photos of how it looks now (although wheels off for winter)

I'm happy with my.height just sorting out spacing... which is being done next few weeks.
Exhaust also being remade.

Offline Gash

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 08 December 2011, 13:31 »
the bumper though im getting rid of as dont know if you can tell but looks a bit funny in the photos, a person decided they would be nice and reverese into me with their towbar and cracked the front, i repaired it quickly but wasnt the greatest of jobs, getting rid of it for a vento bumper now though which again was kindly provided thanks to a forum member!! that im going to see if i can make into a us one.

my clocks have arrived and are audi s3 ones! decided that alot of people do TT or mk4 dash swaps so thought of something i little different but not overall difficult to do!

also looking for some porsche tombstones so if anyone knows a set going etc let me know! :) do prefer leather though!!

beginning of next year im going to put in for a full respray as although iv had the boot done etc i feel i should get it all done now, as after having the arches rolled the wings are shot so need new ones anyways!

going to keep the colour as i love hot chilli red! but thinking while im doing it i may aswel do a few other things too, getting rid of the indicators on the wing and putting them in my running lights, may also change the door handles, iv got some smoothed ones which iv never fitted or i may try ones again from an audi or maybe ones from a mk2 golf as i do like them!

shall see how it goes and hopefully i wont take ages to update this again!!