Author Topic: I've got to buy new suspension - the budget is £400  (Read 8087 times)

Offline X4MGS

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,564
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: I've got to buy new suspension - the budget is £400
« Reply #20 on: 04 October 2010, 02:16 »
I have fitted Ebach Springs all round with Boge turbo dampers.... All worked fine for a couple of months but the Front Boge Inserts have had to be replaced as they started to leak...

I now have boge's on the rears as they come as complete Units... & New VAG G60 Front Shocks... Still with ebach springs...

All cost less that £400.00..

Springs £130.00
New Vag Shocks £60.00 each
Rear Boges £30.00 Each Ithink!

Nice Ride and not as harsh as Coilovers - Happy compromise.. Also fitted Ebach ARBs Front & Rear!!

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline messenjah

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 95
Re: I've got to buy new suspension - the budget is £400
« Reply #21 on: 07 October 2010, 10:09 »
there is no reason coilovers have to be harsh espceially if they are adjustable you can get springs in almost any rate and length and if they are adjustable for damping then you can set them up to be exactly as hard or soft as you want.


i havfent seen (didnt read the whole thread) a mention of supersport coilovers which are about £400 i had a set on my mk1fiesta and they were awesome

Offline paultownsend

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 936
Re: I've got to buy new suspension - the budget is £400
« Reply #22 on: 08 October 2010, 11:25 »
iv had the weitec fixed rate kit, and now hicon gt coilovers. both from g-werks.

i wish i had stayed with the fixed rate kit. on anything but perfect road they are too harsh. on a bumpy, undulated road, i was alot faster on the fixed rate kit.
iv now found a sweet spot with the coils. and there alot better. too high and they were too springy (coils under too much preload) too low and no piston travel.
just had a full allignment, .50 negative camber, toe straight ahead. and new uniroyal rainsports. transformed the car

so im now running in the middle of piston travel. springs under not too much preload. bones pointing slightly up.but only just. still not perfect.

i would get the fixed rate for uk roads, everyday driving

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: I've got to buy new suspension - the budget is £400
« Reply #23 on: 08 October 2010, 12:53 »
iv had the weitec fixed rate kit, and now hicon gt coilovers. both from g-werks.

i wish i had stayed with the fixed rate kit. on anything but perfect road they are too harsh. on a bumpy, undulated road, i was alot faster on the fixed rate kit.
iv now found a sweet spot with the coils. and there alot better. too high and they were too springy (coils under too much preload) too low and no piston travel.
just had a full allignment, .50 negative camber, toe straight ahead. and new uniroyal rainsports. transformed the car

so im now running in the middle of piston travel. springs under not too much preload. bones pointing slightly up.but only just. still not perfect.

i would get the fixed rate for uk roads, everyday driving

Oh no :( There goes that idea then!

My bones are like this

\_______/

I like the ride height its at, but the tip of the wishbone is about 3cm higher than the subframe pivot point, usually equating 0cm piston travel!

Offline cняis

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,034
  • Know there's something burning over there...
Re: I've got to buy new suspension - the budget is £400
« Reply #24 on: 08 October 2010, 20:30 »
iv had the weitec fixed rate kit, and now hicon gt coilovers. both from g-werks.

i wish i had stayed with the fixed rate kit. on anything but perfect road they are too harsh. on a bumpy, undulated road, i was alot faster on the fixed rate kit.
iv now found a sweet spot with the coils. and there alot better. too high and they were too springy (coils under too much preload) too low and no piston travel.
just had a full allignment, .50 negative camber, toe straight ahead. and new uniroyal rainsports. transformed the car

so im now running in the middle of piston travel. springs under not too much preload. bones pointing slightly up.but only just. still not perfect.

i would get the fixed rate for uk roads, everyday driving

Oh no :( There goes that idea then!

My bones are like this

\_______/

I like the ride height its at, but the tip of the wishbone is about 3cm higher than the subframe pivot point, usually equating 0cm piston travel!

i take it thats for the ghetto look, and not for performance  :rolleyes:


I don't think a semi will give the same results

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: I've got to buy new suspension - the budget is £400
« Reply #25 on: 08 October 2010, 22:23 »
i take it thats for the ghetto look, and not for performance  :rolleyes:

Naaaahhhh  yoooo, my car be all like, da lowwwweeerr it is, da beettterr it is - lik an F1 car init bro!!!!111!

:laugh:

Got to have a good stance, plus the pistons have so little travel in them, there's no allowance for body roll - who needs Eibach ARBs when you have fixed suspension :D

Offline paultownsend

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 936
Re: I've got to buy new suspension - the budget is £400
« Reply #26 on: 09 October 2010, 00:14 »
i  would look at the -60 weitec kit. or even

http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/product_info.mhtml?product=3949996

thats as low as you want to go.iv used apex springs before. very good indeed

Offline danny_p

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,644
Re: I've got to buy new suspension - the budget is £400
« Reply #27 on: 09 October 2010, 09:19 »
bilstine b6's or b8's        if you find them on offer and and some free springs b6's are doable in budget
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline paultownsend

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 936
Re: I've got to buy new suspension - the budget is £400
« Reply #28 on: 09 October 2010, 11:37 »
the bilstein b12 kit is the daddy. bar none. but i cant find it for less than £650 ffs. in hindsight........

danny post up any links if you find either kit if you can. i need those pistons in my life!

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: I've got to buy new suspension - the budget is £400
« Reply #29 on: 09 October 2010, 14:02 »
the bilstein b12 kit is the daddy. bar none. but i cant find it for less than £650 ffs. in hindsight........

danny post up any links if you find either kit if you can. i need those pistons in my life!

I had a long hard look for B6/8/12's but as mentioned, they cost a bloody fortune, well over £100 per shock, then there's springs to go on top, too expensive!

There's tonnes of B4's, but they're just OEM spec :undecided: