Author Topic: I've got to buy new suspension - the budget is £400  (Read 8104 times)

Offline emery1990

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,196
Re: I've got to buy new suspension - the budget is £400
« Reply #10 on: 03 October 2010, 14:24 »
spose thats true, if your never planning to remove them, but surely you can protect the bit that rusts with a powder coat ?

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: I've got to buy new suspension - the budget is £400
« Reply #11 on: 03 October 2010, 14:34 »
Top tip every two months just cover them in some PTPF spray it will need it ESP in the winter salted roads mate.
£700....... :lipsrsealed:
I would still ask Daren @ gwerks I got KW's V2's for that kind of money on my Rallye???

The current golf I have has FK's and TBH coated in yellow plastic, but rust has started to come through and apprently the previous lady owner bought them cheap from Germany or France.
If she spent about £200-£250 so be it! let the fookers rust then!
All I know is I will proberly need to angle grind off the circular adjusters rings, because its been that long and a nightmare to move! I'll order a couple of new rings so I can sort the ride height. :sad:

These are simular to my current ones and £189 quid I'm not recomending them because I haven't done a road test on mine yet NO MOT yet. But if this is a UK price, getting them abroad and delivered is proberly cheaper?
But you get the point depends upon what you want mate?

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/13907/referer/rc_googleproduct.html

Offline Sam

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,186
  • Sam I am
Re: I've got to buy new suspension - the budget is £400
« Reply #12 on: 03 October 2010, 14:40 »
Why dont you take up the spax offer, got full rsx coilovers for £515  :smiley:


The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: I've got to buy new suspension - the budget is £400
« Reply #13 on: 03 October 2010, 14:47 »
Why dont you take up the spax offer, got full rsx coilovers for £515  :smiley:

Quote from: team ben
I've got to buy new suspension - the budget it £400

I have to draw the line somewhere :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: 03 October 2010, 14:51 by Ben Lessani »

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: I've got to buy new suspension - the budget is £400
« Reply #14 on: 03 October 2010, 14:56 »
Why dont you take up the spax offer, got full rsx coilovers for £515  :smiley:

Quote from: team ben
I've got to buy new suspension - the budget it £400

I have to draw the line somewhere :rolleyes:

LOL
Ben for another hundred squid these are worth the money mate
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DAIYAMA-COILOVER-RACE-SUSPENSION-VW-GOLF-MK2-GTI-83-92-/320596930621?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4aa510f03d

Offline dan_apps

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,677
  • too low for british roads!
Re: I've got to buy new suspension - the budget is £400
« Reply #15 on: 03 October 2010, 16:35 »
Ben,
thought about AP coilovers, i have them on my 2 and they werent too harsh for a mid range coilie, and i paid 400 quid for them so within budget :smiley:

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: I've got to buy new suspension - the budget is £400
« Reply #16 on: 03 October 2010, 17:17 »
Why dont you take up the spax offer, got full rsx coilovers for £515  :smiley:


LOL
Ben for another hundred squid these are worth the money mate
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DAIYAMA-COILOVER-RACE-SUSPENSION-VW-GOLF-MK2-GTI-83-92-/320596930621?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4aa510f03d

I can't help but feel (however awesome they look) that they would have a FIRM ride. Googling shows lots of people finding them quite 'firm'

As far as i can tell, you don't get the awesome pillowball top mounts on the mk2 struts

Maybe someone richer than me wants to be a guinea pig ;)
« Last Edit: 03 October 2010, 17:34 by Ben Lessani »

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: I've got to buy new suspension - the budget is £400
« Reply #17 on: 03 October 2010, 17:44 »
They do say firm ride, but fully adjustable damper set up? It might be overkill on yours Ben, but to be fair I might have a set myself when I have some cash. I've always wanted Jap suspension because they have been leaders for race set ups and they have never made any for German market.
Thats a lot of suspension for the money....... KW's V3's or these?
I would take a chance and get them.
I was hoping you would test pilot them out for me, before I buy a set!
 :laugh:

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: I've got to buy new suspension - the budget is £400
« Reply #18 on: 03 October 2010, 17:57 »
lol, i'll keep hunting around for now, but i will still have to swap out my current top mounts as they're nuked!

Offline cняis

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,034
  • Know there's something burning over there...
Re: I've got to buy new suspension - the budget is £400
« Reply #19 on: 04 October 2010, 00:14 »
That's a tough one your asking there....at the end of the day I guess its always going to be a bit of a compromise, it just depends what side you want to compromise on.

I can only go from my own experiences, I ended up going for the Weitec GTNs (as have a few others on here) and to be honest I'm really happy with them. (I had cheapo coilies before and what a mistake/waste of money - the weitec's have a totally different ride)

I too considered the shock spring combo but dismissed it as I wanted a bit of adjustment.

Had funds been better I think I'd have preferred a set of KW's, purely due to the fact they are made from better material. The GTN's I have are still fully functional they just get a covering of rust/discolouring on them after a while.

Not sure if any of this has helped but from when I did my research the reoccurring theme was always you get what you pay for  :smiley:

+1 my GTNs are awesome for the money. comfortable and good performers even with a lumpy VR6 engine!

bought from gwerks too


I don't think a semi will give the same results