Author Topic: I've got to buy new suspension - the budget is £400  (Read 8105 times)

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
I've got to buy new suspension - the budget is £400
« on: 03 October 2010, 00:26 »
Hi Guys,

I've been reading posts for days and have come to no conclusion as to what to buy. I've had cheap coilies for the past 3 years and the rear left has finally packed in (as well as the others being sh!t from new anyway!).

It never goes on the track, but a nice fast-road set-up would be ideal, with a drop for decent stance (-40mm)

So searching resulted in everyone saying to get the Eibach -40mm springs (Part no. E8502-140) (around £120 for all 4). But there is no clear winner on what shocks to get.

There's a lot of recommendations for the Boge Gas Turbos (around £110 for all 4) - but then there is an equal amount of complaints saying they failed early :(.

Then there is the Koni adjustables - but they seem to be over £130 per shock! - either I'm looking at the wrong models, or they really are that expensive (perhaps someone could post some part numbers?).

Or get some plain 'ole OE Bilstein B4's (around £150 for all 4) - http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Volkswagen_Golf_1.8_1986/p/Car-Parts/Suspension-and-Steering/Suspension/Shock-Absorbers

Or some FK AKX uprated shocks with a shorter piston (around £140 for all 4) - http://www.venommotorsport.com/product_details.php?id=7266&manufacturer=FK&category=Suspension

Then there is getting a complete suspension set like the Koni STRT kit (around £330 for all 4) - http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/product_info.mhtml?product=15346013

Or the Weitec GT kit (£340) - http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/product_info.mhtml?product=15338813

Or the Spax PSX kit (£320) - http://www.spaxdirect.com/product_info.php?cPath=29_30_1374&products_id=2034 (with another 15% off thanks to http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=147187.0)

Or the FK AKX kit (£150) - http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/product_info.mhtml?product=3733426

Or the AP 40mm kit (£270) - http://www.venommotorsport.com/product_details.php?id=682&manufacturer=AP&category=Suspension

After blowing £200 on cheap coilies, I'd like something that will preferably last and within budget.

I know this question gets asked all the time - I'm just concerned the Boge Gas Turbo shocks aren't going to be that good :(
« Last Edit: 03 October 2010, 12:16 by Ben Lessani »

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: I've got to buy new suspension - the budget is £400
« Reply #1 on: 03 October 2010, 00:31 »
Oh, to make things more confusing the Koni STRT kit (http://www.venommotorsport.com/product_details.php?id=20616&manufacturer=Koni&category=Suspension) may or may not be only inserts for the front shocks (rather than a complete strut!).

Confused!

Edit: It looks like there are two offerings, one is a complete strut, one is just front inserts - http://www.venommotorsport.com/product_details.php?id=20617&manufacturer=Koni&category=Suspension

Edit again: Actually, I think it still isn't a complete strut - but a different type of insert that Koni made that allows you to hack it into your existing sealed strut, given I have no struts to use, these may be a non-option!
« Last Edit: 03 October 2010, 00:58 by Ben Lessani »

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: I've got to buy new suspension - the budget is £400
« Reply #2 on: 03 October 2010, 13:31 »
The more reading I do, the less I want to replace the suspension!

My options are separated, but each have their pros/cons - with no clear winner

Shock + Spring Combo (<£300)
Pros: Cheap, comfortable
Cons: Too much body roll, final stance is unpredictable

Budget coilovers (<£300)
Pros: Cheap, ability to get stance perfect, minimal body roll
Cons: Harsh on bumpy roads, unpleasant on motorways, short lifetime

Mid-range coilovers (£300-700)
Pros: Ability to get stance perfect, minimal body roll, better longevity
Cons: Price, appear to be equally as uncomfortable as cheap coilovers

I don't want to go buying some Weitec GTNs to find they are still as choppy as my budget coilys. On the same token, I don't want to buy some springs/shocks to have a odd looking ride height - or too much roll in the corners.

Its no surprise people just give in and buy cheap coilovers!

Offline Gloves88

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 609
Re: I've got to buy new suspension - the budget is £400
« Reply #3 on: 03 October 2010, 13:46 »
That's a tough one your asking there....at the end of the day I guess its always going to be a bit of a compromise, it just depends what side you want to compromise on.

I can only go from my own experiences, I ended up going for the Weitec GTNs (as have a few others on here) and to be honest I'm really happy with them. (I had cheapo coilies before and what a mistake/waste of money - the weitec's have a totally different ride)

I too considered the shock spring combo but dismissed it as I wanted a bit of adjustment.

Had funds been better I think I'd have preferred a set of KW's, purely due to the fact they are made from better material. The GTN's I have are still fully functional they just get a covering of rust/discolouring on them after a while.

Not sure if any of this has helped but from when I did my research the reoccurring theme was always you get what you pay for  :smiley:

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: I've got to buy new suspension - the budget is £400
« Reply #4 on: 03 October 2010, 13:47 »
Quote
Or the Weitec GT kit (£340) - http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/product_info.mhtml?product=

Ben Weitec make KW's just that they aren't stainless, but set up lovely and firm, very comfortable and no harsh rattle teeth out feel!
You might want to give Darren @ Gwerks a ring tell him I sent you and hopefully he will look after you.
You might even get KW's V1's for a few more pounds? He defo can get weitecs and deliver them quick time.

Jay
 

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: I've got to buy new suspension - the budget is £400
« Reply #5 on: 03 October 2010, 13:58 »
I can only go from my own experiences, I ended up going for the Weitec GTNs (as have a few others on here) and to be honest I'm really happy with them. (I had cheapo coilies before and what a mistake/waste of money - the weitec's have a totally different ride)

Assuming your cheap coilys were similar to mine (and invariably, they probably would have been) - did you notice the "hopping" ride when heading down motorways? Do the Weitec GTNs not suffer the same fate I take it? If that's the case, I'll probably invest in some of those - I'll need to find the cheapest supplier then!

£380 - DC Performance http://www.dcperformance.co.uk/uprated/weitec-hicon-gtn-coilover-kits/volkswagen/golf-ii.html
£382 - Euro Performance http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/product_info.mhtml?product=15337035
£382 - Venom Motorsport http://www.venommotorsport.com/manufacturer_product.php?manufacturer=Weitec&category=suspension&product=HiconGTNCoilovers&make=VW&model=Golf%20Mk%202
£382 - Larkspeed http://www.larkspeed.com/index.pl?a=i&k=s&p=13480002
£382 - Motorsport World http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk/detprod.asp?productcode=W-13480002&PID=1158235
£382 - DPM Performance http://www.dpmperformance.co.uk/weitec-hicon-gtn-coilover-suspension-kitbr-golf-2-10-13-16-16d-16td-18-8v-18-16v-18-g60-fwd-0883-p-6835.html?zenid=156cdf64978f40197d1103747825d74f
« Last Edit: 03 October 2010, 14:05 by Ben Lessani »

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: I've got to buy new suspension - the budget is £400
« Reply #6 on: 03 October 2010, 14:08 »
Ben the problem with non stainless items is if you ever decided to transfer the set up to another car they are usually rusted to bits and worthless. If you spent a bit more dough you could always take them out and sell them on, or transfer to another car, and not really loose any money everyone wants stainless coillies!
 

Offline The Mighty Elvi

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,403
  • I'm better than you today.
Re: I've got to buy new suspension - the budget is £400
« Reply #7 on: 03 October 2010, 14:10 »
I've just fitted the GSF Boge Turbo kit.  I got it because:

a) My 10 year old oil filled Spax kit was Fubar'd
b) GSF Swansea only wanted £125 for the kit.

I'll let you know how good it is after I drive for a week.

I also fitted new top mounts rear and front (G60's)

Jonathan.

Offline emery1990

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,196
Re: I've got to buy new suspension - the budget is £400
« Reply #8 on: 03 October 2010, 14:16 »
Get stainless, or get them powder coated?

Mine are rusted to hell, doesnt look very good either!

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: I've got to buy new suspension - the budget is £400
« Reply #9 on: 03 October 2010, 14:23 »
Ben the problem with non stainless items is if you ever decided to transfer the set up to another car they are usually rusted to bits and worthless. If you spent a bit more dough you could always take them out and sell them on, or transfer to another car, and not really loose any money everyone wants stainless coillies!
 

But at £700 (http://www.dcperformance.co.uk/cheap/116812/volkswagen/kw-variant-1-inox-coilovers/kw10280002.html) ... they're almost twice the price!

They look like they resist corrosion reasonably well - http://www.kw-suspension.com/us/kw_inox_line.php

But surely, you could afford for the others to rust to nothing?
« Last Edit: 03 October 2010, 14:25 by Ben Lessani »