Author Topic: Exhaust help  (Read 1688 times)

Offline Ardz83

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 77
Exhaust help
« on: 02 October 2010, 15:46 »
Alright guys.
I have tried to fit my magnex system today and got it all on ok but the backbox mount on the exhaust doesnt meet up to the car mount by 2/3 inches,also the backbox hits the bottom of the rear shock. Its all lined up as best as it can be,i have taken it off and on again 3 times now and still have the same problem.

Anyone had this problem or who a way i can sort it???

Much thanks
Dan

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: Exhaust help
« Reply #1 on: 02 October 2010, 15:54 »
Best bet is go to kwik fit they might help you out with reducers and extensions any pictures of it?
 

Offline Ardz83

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 77
Re: Exhaust help
« Reply #2 on: 02 October 2010, 15:58 »
Best bet is go to kwik fit they might help you out with reducers and extensions any pictures of it?
 

Been there and they are a waste of time. "sorry sir we dont touch custom exhausts"

I will get a pic if needed,i just got a bunji cord holding it on atm lol

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: Exhaust help
« Reply #3 on: 02 October 2010, 20:08 »
The last time I had an issue with lack of length I did managed to buy a flexi pipe. It looks like a braided pipe and its flexable enough to bridge two joints. Unless you have some pipe and start to swage one end to fit?
I would have expected you to have contacted whom ever sold it to you and he should have supplied the flexi pipe if they knew what they had sold you in the first place (if it was designed for your car?)

http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=en&q=exhaust+flexi+pipe&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=M4OnTOWjCcP44AaR2umxDQ&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CDEQrQQwAA

Offline Ardz83

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 77
Re: Exhaust help
« Reply #4 on: 02 October 2010, 21:04 »
I got it off ebay,the seller said it was off exactly the same car,same year engine the lot. I cant see why it wont fit propely. Its just the back box mount and thats it.

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: Exhaust help
« Reply #5 on: 02 October 2010, 21:06 »
mmmmm ok..... is any of the heat shields causing some space issues? If not then just buy a flexi pipe to marry up the short fall mate!

Offline Ardz83

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 77
Re: Exhaust help
« Reply #6 on: 02 October 2010, 21:42 »
Ok mate thanks for your help. My slieve off the standard pipe wont fit over the magnex so looks like i will have to get a flexi pipe. How do i work out what size flexi i need as the standard and magnex are different sizes?

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: Exhaust help
« Reply #7 on: 03 October 2010, 10:32 »
Well you have two options:
Take a photo if your any good with the photo shop I would draw the diameter of the pipe i.e the center of the end pipe right across. Then send it to whom ever you decide to buy from so there are no mistakes when they find the correct flexi pipe.
Failing that I just measure the diameter and email the info and length of pipe you need.
Don't forget you need to measure BOTH ENDS OF the diameters' of the two pipes you need to marry up!

Second option: which I prefer is BEFORE you take out the magnex box, mark and fit up where the hangers on your chassis tunnel is against the box ,then make sure no sides are touching the heat shields when you eventually get hangers on to it. Then take it to a local welder and get him to weld two or three hooks on the box where they should be, rather than where they currently are.
That way you have a perfect fit from center box to back box!
Costs money, but nothing worst than having a system rattle on you at idle or high speed it will drive you crazy! One last thing if you see any securing circular discs for heatshields missing, which they usualy are rusted to pieces. Go down VAG and buy some it helps with rattles once that box is tight against any heat shields.
   
Good luck matey! :smiley:
Jay

Offline Ardz83

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 77
Re: Exhaust help
« Reply #8 on: 03 October 2010, 12:21 »
Thanks for your help mate you are the man!