Author Topic: Help with Kjet Enging in Poole - Dorset  (Read 1764 times)

Offline bmouthboyo

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 377
Help with Kjet Enging in Poole - Dorset
« on: 02 October 2010, 11:32 »
Hi there,

I have a T25 camper van that has been fitted with a Mk2 Gti K jet engine. About a year ago I had it ticking over, albeit a little rough but I couldn't work on the Van for a while.

Now I am trying to get it road worthy I dont seem to be able to get it to fire up properly. It kind of coughs a little but just doesnt seem to fully start up now.

I checked the Injectors and they are all spraying when I manually lift the metering flap to get the fuel pumping, and I am sure the spark plugs are fine but it just doesn't seem to want to start.

Due to the engine being in a camper engine bay the installer used a range of what looks like gutter piping, that along with it beign sat idle for so long I am starting to think that the suction from the inlet manifold is not causing a strong enough vacuum to lift the metering flap enough to give it a steady stream of fuel.

Any advice on how to sort this? I am going to ensure the inlet piping is all sealed air tight so to not lose any suction, but I am not sure if there is anyway to lube/oil the metering flap so it needs as little suction as possible to lift it.

Is anyone local that could maybe give a hand for a few bob?

Cheers

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: Help with Kjet Enging in Poole - Dorset
« Reply #1 on: 02 October 2010, 12:17 »
Sounds like a vac leak

Offline bmouthboyo

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 377
Re: Help with Kjet Enging in Poole - Dorset
« Reply #2 on: 02 October 2010, 17:58 »
The thing is it remained unmoved for about a year so not sure why it would suddenly have a vac leak now. I am not sure if it is worth striping the air flow metering head and giving it a clean.


Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: Help with Kjet Enging in Poole - Dorset
« Reply #3 on: 02 October 2010, 18:00 »
Or the Hall sender is on its way out?
Moisture, Cold, no running & oxidisation on contacts don't do it many favours :undecided:

Offline bmouthboyo

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 377
Re: Help with Kjet Enging in Poole - Dorset
« Reply #4 on: 02 October 2010, 22:12 »
I dont think there is a hall sender in K Jet engines? Its injection but not electronic.

Offline Diamond Hell

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,992
  • Opinions я Us
Re: Help with Kjet Enging in Poole - Dorset
« Reply #5 on: 02 October 2010, 22:44 »
Fifth injector firing OK?

Is it flooding, or not getting enough fuel?  Are the plugs wet?
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: Help with Kjet Enging in Poole - Dorset
« Reply #6 on: 02 October 2010, 23:39 »
I dont think there is a hall sender in K Jet engines? Its injection but not electronic.

There certainly is a hall sender.

Have a blast through this http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=49436.msg1520084#msg1520084