Author Topic: no clocks = no charge?  (Read 2284 times)

Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327
no clocks = no charge?
« on: 01 October 2010, 20:42 »
If I drive without my clocks in my car, does that have any effect on the battery? I send this from the A350 where I am parked with a dead golf on the side of the road, my clocks at home in bits and my face grumpy

Offline The Mighty Elvi

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,403
  • I'm better than you today.
Re: no clocks = no charge?
« Reply #1 on: 01 October 2010, 20:50 »
I would imagine that NO. It would have no effect.  But please correct me if I am worng.  Charging the battery is done directly from the alternator.  I wouldn't think having no clocks would effect it it any way.

No direct circuit to break.

 

Offline Khare

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,626
  • The bear that khares
Re: no clocks = no charge?
« Reply #2 on: 01 October 2010, 20:52 »
I don't think either. Clocks are an individual unit and shouldn't affect battery performance. Have you checked for Broken/damaged earth straps?

Offline The Mighty Elvi

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,403
  • I'm better than you today.
Re: no clocks = no charge?
« Reply #3 on: 01 October 2010, 20:55 »
Get back to the MK3 section where you belong  :grin: :grin:


Offline X4MGS

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,564
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: no clocks = no charge?
« Reply #4 on: 01 October 2010, 21:06 »
Should be fine - as listed above...

Poor guy wants a MK2, so coming in here make's him less of an outcast in the GTI world... :tongue:

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline Khare

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,626
  • The bear that khares
Re: no clocks = no charge?
« Reply #5 on: 01 October 2010, 21:22 »
No no and I'll say it again, NO! I do NOT want another mk2, thank you very much  :smiley:

Offline The Mighty Elvi

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,403
  • I'm better than you today.
Re: no clocks = no charge?
« Reply #6 on: 01 October 2010, 21:30 »
No no and I'll say it again, NO! I do NOT want another mk2, thank you very much  :smiley:

Denial...show he really LOVES to have MK2.


Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327
Re: no clocks = no charge?
« Reply #7 on: 02 October 2010, 01:54 »
Turns out it does, if the alternator doesn't detect the bulb on the clocks go out then it won't charge. The breakdown guy ran a cable from my live terminal to a bit on the alternator with a bulb, it lit up and then with igntion the bulb went out and the alternator started charging again. Only problem is I have to do it every time I start the car cause it resets when you stop it. New day, new lesson. I better sort my bloody clocks out

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: no clocks = no charge?
« Reply #8 on: 04 October 2010, 11:54 »
yep as above, no clocks = no battery chargy. sorry you had to learn that the hard way ;)
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327
Re: no clocks = no charge?
« Reply #9 on: 04 October 2010, 13:54 »
yep as above, no clocks = no battery chargy. sorry you had to learn that the hard way ;)

live n learn :p