Author Topic: Top Mount Slotted Nut  (Read 2520 times)

Offline The Mighty Elvi

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,403
  • I'm better than you today.
Top Mount Slotted Nut
« on: 30 September 2010, 15:21 »
Joy of joys. Well al least its sunny.  :grin:

Having suspension fun today.  Was going to replace the old, with shiny shiny new Boge kit.  The rears went on nice, but no so with the front.

1. Any solutions as to how remove the slotted nut of front top mounts?
2. Where can I buy new ones, GSF, Dealer only?
3. Where can I buy new spring plates and rubber coil top mould thingy?

Thanks

Jonathan.

Offline Sam

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,186
  • Sam I am
Re: Top Mount Slotted Nut
« Reply #1 on: 30 September 2010, 15:27 »
Two pairs of mole grips, one grabbing the strut and the other grabbing the slotted nut. GSF should do them but you may be better going to the stealers and getting genuine stuff


The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.

Offline The Mighty Elvi

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,403
  • I'm better than you today.
Re: Top Mount Slotted Nut
« Reply #2 on: 30 September 2010, 15:46 »
Tried mole grips.  The nut is not pronounced enough from the mount for it to grip.  They're 10 years old as well.  Bugger :angry:

Offline Horney

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 10,782
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
Re: Top Mount Slotted Nut
« Reply #3 on: 30 September 2010, 15:53 »
Get the proper tool from GSF, only about £10.

Nick

Offline rob.043

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 496
Re: Top Mount Slotted Nut
« Reply #4 on: 30 September 2010, 16:59 »
AVS (vw spares) also do the special tool, and spring plates etc. They seem to have all the wee bits listed.

Offline rob.043

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 496
Re: Top Mount Slotted Nut
« Reply #5 on: 30 September 2010, 17:00 »
Although if you have a search/or ask someone that knows- ive heard about removing the slotted nut affair, and replacing it with the mk3 setup. But I dont know the details.

Offline weazgti

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 955
Re: Top Mount Slotted Nut
« Reply #6 on: 30 September 2010, 18:17 »
swan neck spanner if you have one. Got the angle to get on the nut and an allen key in the top to hold it.
This is how me and a mate do it anyway, one person holds the allen key the other undoes the nut.

Offline Diamond Hell

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,992
  • Opinions я Us
Re: Top Mount Slotted Nut
« Reply #7 on: 30 September 2010, 18:59 »
ive heard about removing the slotted nut affair, and replacing it with the mk3 setup.

Yes: G3 top mount + G3 nut + G3 deflector plate + G2 spring cap eliminates the nasty nasty slotted nut b*llocks.*

* check precise order and parts required from someone posting who has some 'be ar$ed'.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline dan_apps

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,677
  • too low for british roads!
Re: Top Mount Slotted Nut
« Reply #8 on: 30 September 2010, 19:14 »
air tool if it f**ks up the nut no bother as you are replacing the whole thing with a G3 setup or just go and buy the proper tool like Nick says if you dont have access to air tools.

Offline Benrevs

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 790
Re: Top Mount Slotted Nut
« Reply #9 on: 30 September 2010, 19:32 »
I utilized a really thick washer/nut and attacked it with a grinder to make a tool.