Author Topic: What to replace? Entire Fuel Pump Unit or Fuel Gauge Sender Only  (Read 3239 times)

Offline invame

• Not said much yet
Hi all,

I've been having problems with my fuel gauge reading always full so today I decided to investigate. It turns out that the plastic arm of the spring/float has snapped in two. I've highlighted with a red line where it's snapped in the picture below. It's just held together by the wires now:

So my question is what do I need to replace? Can I replace just the top half minus the fuel pump itself or do I have to replace the entire thing. The sender unit is available as VAG part 1H0 919 670:

but all the connecting tubes worry me a little. Does anyone have any experience of doing this and if so could you advise please or if anyone can suggest any alternatives, I'm all ears. I thought about glueing it back together but if it comes apart again going over a bump I'm back to square one.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated,

InVame.

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
Re: What to replace? Entire Fuel Pump Unit or Fuel Gauge Sender Only
« Reply #1 on: 25 September 2010, 19:42 »
You should be able to replace just the sender unit.

Offline invame

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 25 September 2010, 19:49 »
There's no danger or difficulty in disconnecting the three pipes then? Can I do it from the boot by removing the fuel pump? It's just that I saw Len's post about having to remove the fuel pump by removing the tank. According to the Haynes manual I should be able to just turn the pump to the left and remove it.

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #3 on: 25 September 2010, 19:52 »
There's no danger or difficulty in disconnecting the three pipes then? Can I do it from the boot by removing the fuel pump? It's just that I saw Len's post about having to remove the fuel pump by removing the tank. According to the Haynes manual I should be able to just turn the pump to the left and remove it.

Yes or drop Len a pm as his has done the job.

Offline invame

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 26 September 2010, 17:43 »
I've been having a think about it today and if I can get the fuel pump and sender out without too much difficulty I'm going to try fixing the plastic arm with some Q-Bond.

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
« Reply #5 on: 26 September 2010, 18:12 »
Dont believe what you read in Haynes!!!
It should twist but no way does it! Not without some special tool.
I found it almost impossible to change the sender without getting the pump out!
Now I know how though you dont have to take the petrol tank out!
Here's how - there's a 3 pronged holder fixed to the bottom of the tank. On each of the 3 prongs there is a rubber grommet, you have to prize the prong away from the pump and push a finger in between and push out the grommet.
Then the pump will lift out.

But by all means have a go at repairing the plastic break you showed above.
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline invame

• Not said much yet
Thanks for the info Len. I managed to repair the arm about 2 weeks ago with Q-Bond. It's holding up well so far but if it breaks again I'll be using the above info to replace it.