Author Topic: Heater issues......  (Read 2352 times)

Offline img210

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 14
Heater issues......
« on: 25 September 2010, 12:04 »
When I move the heater control off of cold I get a load of smoke coming off the top of the engine block and out of the exhaust.......like the head gasket has gone.  When the heater is on cold theres no issues.

Had the hg checked and its fine.

Anyone know what the problem is ??  its getting wintery I don't want to be freezing cold in the car everytime I use it....... :sad:

EDIT the engine is an 8v digifant if that makes a difference.......
Mark 3 Golf GTi 8v - Gone
Corrado VR6 - Gone
Mark 2 GTi 8v - nice little project just started

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: Heater issues......
« Reply #1 on: 25 September 2010, 16:50 »
This must be a joke ...

But, I'll rise to it.

The heater slider does nothing more than move a little flap inside your car - it has nothing to do with the engine, whatsoever, in-the-slightest.

Offline img210

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 14
Re: Heater issues......
« Reply #2 on: 25 September 2010, 20:36 »
This must be a joke ...

But, I'll rise to it.

The heater slider does nothing more than move a little flap inside your car - it has nothing to do with the engine, whatsoever, in-the-slightest.

No joke pal, this is straight up 100% honest. I've spent a long time trying to track down the issue.

For some reason when the heater is on anything but cold I get white smoke.

Any helpful advice welcome.....
Mark 3 Golf GTi 8v - Gone
Corrado VR6 - Gone
Mark 2 GTi 8v - nice little project just started

Offline bodga

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 339
  • F reg GTI 16v
Re: Heater issues......
« Reply #3 on: 25 September 2010, 21:36 »
only thing i can think of is when you move the heater slider, its moving some wires in the dash and causing a short????? smoke out of the exhaust is just because its cold outside

 :huh:

Offline X4MGS

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,564
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: Heater issues......
« Reply #4 on: 25 September 2010, 22:28 »
If you slide the heaterswitch does this not then open up the pipes for the water from the engine to get to the heater Matrix?

Could the pipes that run into the matrix be leaking?

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline Thom89

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,092
  • Looking for an "Icebreaker"
Re: Heater issues......
« Reply #5 on: 25 September 2010, 22:59 »
If you slide the heaterswitch does this not then open up the pipes for the water from the engine to get to the heater Matrix?

Could the pipes that run into the matrix be leaking?

No, matrix stays hot all the time, sliding the heater control opens a flap that allows hot air to circulate into the car, some cars have a valve that lets hot water circulate when the system is opened....
Thom

Offline X4MGS

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,564
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: Heater issues......
« Reply #6 on: 25 September 2010, 23:19 »
I did wonder if it worked that way..

So thats not the issue then!!

Could it be the matrix bypass valves?

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline cняis

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,034
  • Know there's something burning over there...
Re: Heater issues......
« Reply #7 on: 25 September 2010, 23:33 »
I did wonder if it worked that way..

So thats not the issue then!!

Could it be the matrix bypass valves?

the slider has nothing to do with the valves

if the valves were an issue, they be doing it all the time regardless of slider position


I don't think a semi will give the same results

Offline X4MGS

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,564
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: Heater issues......
« Reply #8 on: 25 September 2010, 23:37 »

the slider has nothing to do with the valves

if the valves were an issue, they be doing it all the time regardless of slider position

I Thought we had established that point...

But could it be that they are leaking or that they have been taken out and bodged?

Can't think what else it could be... You any other suggestions??

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline cняis

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,034
  • Know there's something burning over there...
Re: Heater issues......
« Reply #9 on: 25 September 2010, 23:43 »

the slider has nothing to do with the valves

if the valves were an issue, they be doing it all the time regardless of slider position

I Thought we had established that point...

But could it be that they are leaking or that they have been taken out and bodged?

Can't think what else it could be... You any other suggestions??

its f#cked.

scrap it and buy another.

no seriously the OP needs to be telling us if it looks like steam or otherwise.

Could he be mistaking 'smoke from the engine block' as steam from the vents when the slider is moved onto hot? this would duggest a leaky heater matrix.


I don't think a semi will give the same results