Author Topic: Clock dismantle  (Read 2499 times)

Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327
Clock dismantle
« on: 23 September 2010, 22:33 »
I have all the parts I need for what I want to do with my clocks,

Mk4 needles
Metal monkey dials
EL foil backing.

I need to take my clocks apart and remove the old dials add the foil backing and new dials, and new needles.

My question is, how do I carefully take them apart without damaging them.

Is there anything I should know before attempting this or is it fairly straight forward?  I dont want to end up messing it up and having to buy more clocks.

Offline X4MGS

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,564
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: Clock dismantle
« Reply #1 on: 23 September 2010, 23:05 »
Read this thread...

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=143227.0

I used it when fixing my MFA..

You will need a good set of Jewellers screwdrivers to not damage the dial screws if you are going to reuse them..

HTH

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline Sam.

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 27
Re: Clock dismantle
« Reply #2 on: 23 September 2010, 23:33 »
Taking apart the clocks is fairly self explanatory, just make sure to be careful not to tear the blue foil when removing connectors.
Removing the needles is a bit tricky, I usually put something over the dials and then lever a knife at each side of the needle to pop it off.
This may be helpful: http://4130-products.com/step/install/index.htm

Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327
Re: Clock dismantle
« Reply #3 on: 23 September 2010, 23:47 »
ah cool, both very useful thanks.

il post pics when its done, it should look pretty good :D

Offline raferackstraw

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 904
Re: Clock dismantle
« Reply #4 on: 24 September 2010, 13:08 »
i used a kitchen fork to get the needles off it worked a treat

wayne gardner smokes one rothmans too many
500cc 2stroke bad for ya health

Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327
Re: Clock dismantle
« Reply #5 on: 27 September 2010, 23:29 »
ARSE!

my new metal monkey dials were not the correct fix, but luckily metal monkey provide probably the best customer service I have ever encountered and they have made me up another set that should fit, so now I shall wait for them.

My mk4 speedo needle fits but the rev counter attachment on the clocks is thinner so il have to play to get that to fit.

Other problem is I broke the vacuum hose connection on the back as it just would NOT unplug and snapped. Im aware that thing unscrews but I cant find a bloody replacement, what an annoying thing to break!

Offline The Mighty Elvi

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,403
  • I'm better than you today.
Re: Clock dismantle
« Reply #6 on: 27 September 2010, 23:34 »
Not a problem.  You can buy lengths of vacuum hose on ebay.  Buy a length and replace all the hose in the engine bay as well.


Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327
Re: Clock dismantle
« Reply #7 on: 27 September 2010, 23:40 »
Not a problem.  You can buy lengths of vacuum hose on ebay.  Buy a length and replace all the hose in the engine bay as well.


no no no, the hose is fine, its the part it plugs in to that snapped, its screwed onto the back of the clocks with two screws, little square black thing

Offline The Mighty Elvi

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,403
  • I'm better than you today.
Re: Clock dismantle
« Reply #8 on: 27 September 2010, 23:52 »
SUPERGLUE!


Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327
Re: Clock dismantle
« Reply #9 on: 28 September 2010, 07:49 »
SUPERGLUE!



it doesnt seem like itl work, but it has crossed my mind,