Author Topic: Upgrading front top mounts using MK3 bits ...  (Read 6464 times)

Offline Diamond Hell

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,992
  • Opinions я Us
Re: Upgrading front top mounts using MK3 bits ...
« Reply #10 on: 23 September 2010, 12:38 »
I'm going to have one last go, Joe and then I'll just treat X4MGS as an idiot and ignore his moronic interjections as I get the feeling that he's some sort of Genuine Parts biggot.

It's not like I'm alone in recommending using third party suppliers, is it?

If you fit brand new you have piece of mind that they are all new and that you will not have the same issue for a number of years!!

Top spring plates: don't wear out

Nuts: don't wear out

What would the point be in buying these new from VAG for more money than getting them from a scrappy, for either pence or pocket-value?

The G3 top mounts are very robust and third party (branded) ones should be fine for years.  The Nurburgring and other tracks haven't killed mine yet.

It's important that people have the choice, so those who don't want to blindly go paying over the odds in a posh showroom, surrounded by cars 20 years younger than theirs don't have to.

The third party parts supply for VAG is well developed and offers good quality products.

If you ask for 'best quality' then you'll likely get OEM quality, but you'll need to shop carefully and understand what you're doing, which you clearly don't.  If you're so dull and blinkered keep going to your local VW dealer - a fool and his money are easily parted.

What we're talking about here are upgraded parts that are more durable and of a more simple design than the nasty original Golf2 set up.  Go ask your VW dealer to provide those upgraded parts and they'll probably start looking quite confused.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline X4MGS

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,564
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: Upgrading front top mounts using MK3 bits ...
« Reply #11 on: 23 September 2010, 12:58 »
Sorry mate but you are so fecking RUDE... ANOTHER KEYBOARD HERO!!!!

Who's the Idiot... The guy who buys genuine parts for his pride and joy... cos he has fitted patten parts that have failed and have now cost  a bucket full of money in mechanics fees to fix it!!!

I buy Via from TPS which saves me 23% on stuff... & I have the satisfaction of knowing that all the parts fitted to the car are OEM...

Each to his own... Sorry for having my own opinion that differs to you....

I did not mention buying nuts just top mounts... Which by the way if you did your research properly you would find out that VW don't sell MK2 ones anymore they have all been replaced by the Mk3 ones....

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline Diamond Hell

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,992
  • Opinions я Us
Re: Upgrading front top mounts using MK3 bits ...
« Reply #12 on: 23 September 2010, 13:27 »
Quote
Who's the Idiot...

The bloke paying loads of money to get a garage to fit pattern or genuine parts to a car that's pretty much as simple to work on as a Mechano kit.

I'm fully aware of the supply situation.

So when you need to replace your front top mounts, what are you going to do?

Fit incorrect G3 units?

They will increase your front ride height by 10mm.

Unless you fit pattern lowering springs to lower the car it'll change the look and also make it handle slightly oddly.

If you fit OEM-quality G2 units they'll keep the ride height the same and all will be well.

But OH NO the parts won't have come in a Genuine Parts box.

It's just a shame you don't own a an old Mini  :grin:
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Upgrading front top mounts using MK3 bits ...
« Reply #13 on: 23 September 2010, 13:36 »
my lemforder top mounts had vag part numbers on. lemforder are definitly oem suppliers for vag.
febi you need to watch out for, some bits are good some are rubbish
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline X4MGS

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,564
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: Upgrading front top mounts using MK3 bits ...
« Reply #14 on: 23 September 2010, 13:52 »
So now I am Idiot for using a Mechanic...

Not everyone is capable of working on a car and TBH when it comes to stuff like Brakes & Suspension etc I would much rather put my faith in my mechanic rather than me doing it wrong and possibly killing myself the wife and my kids... Never-mind some other poor sod who may be involved...

Yes I have had my top mounts done and yes I went for G60 ones and that's when I learnt that they were all now Mk3's & yes that's what I fitted with Eibach springs and boge turbo shocks as recommended on here...

Springs are great but the shock are now leaking... Only 3 months old, so they are coming off tomorrow and I have NEW VAG G60 units that only cost £50.00 over the Boge inserts, hence my frustration with patten parts and I am now A VAG Snob!!! & will only fit genuine parts from now on UNLESS they are NLA... Then I will have no option but to buy Patten or Aftermarket...

When that happens I will come and ask you what or who is the OEM supplier and lets see how good you are then with your keyboard....


Quote
Who's the Idiot...

The bloke paying loads of money to get a garage to fit pattern or genuine parts to a car that's pretty much as simple to work on as a Mechano kit.

I'm fully aware of the supply situation.

So when you need to replace your front top mounts, what are you going to do?

Fit incorrect G3 units?

They will increase your front ride height by 10mm.

Unless you fit pattern lowering springs to lower the car it'll change the look and also make it handle slightly oddly.

If you fit OEM-quality G2 units they'll keep the ride height the same and all will be well.

But OH NO the parts won't have come in a Genuine Parts box.

It's just a shame you don't own a an old Mini  :grin:

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline X4MGS

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,564
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: Upgrading front top mounts using MK3 bits ...
« Reply #15 on: 23 September 2010, 13:57 »






<<<<<------ Just To Make You Happy... :grin: :grin: :rolleyes:

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: Upgrading front top mounts using MK3 bits ...
« Reply #16 on: 23 September 2010, 14:51 »
Thanks DH and RJ, Lemforder top mounts and the peripheral bits from a scrappy.

This thread is now locked because what X4MGS is saying is pointless and his signature is annoying the crap out of me.