Author Topic: Kent cam installation  (Read 1956 times)

Offline Bigdunc

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 344
Kent cam installation
« on: 22 September 2010, 09:38 »
Hi guys, got myself a Kent cam gs1 I think, I have a mk2 8v pb engine, the main think I wanna know is
1. Can I use the pulley from the gti cam?
2. Is there anything else need changing at same time , will change timeing belt, rocket cover and water pump.

I'm not going to change tappets yet as looking for a new head eventually so will do it all then, just wanna get cam in for now

Offline Horney

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 10,782
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
Re: Kent cam installation
« Reply #1 on: 22 September 2010, 09:48 »
Make sure it's right for your head first. Early GTI's had solid lifters and different cam.

Change the tensioner as well as the cambelt. You can use the standard GTI pulley but you'll get more power if you use a vernier (adjustable) pulley and set it up properly for overlap etc. Remember to number the cam caps as they have to go back in the same places.

nick

Offline danny_p

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,644
Re: Kent cam installation
« Reply #2 on: 22 September 2010, 20:04 »
the PB has hydralic lifters teh kent gs1 is a solid lifter cam iirc

kent cams normaly put a "H" in there to denote that it is for hydralic lifters. eg a gs2 is solid lifters and a gs2h is hydralic
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline Bigdunc

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 344
Re: Kent cam installation
« Reply #3 on: 22 September 2010, 21:23 »
The Cam code is KCGS1H, So its for the correct engine, can get waterpump, rocket gasket, cam seals, and cambelt for £33 from work so wont cost much :)