Author Topic: Fooked MFA Screen  (Read 3016 times)

Offline Ruggy

  • Just got here
  • *
  • Posts: 7
Fooked MFA Screen
« on: 21 September 2010, 10:11 »
I have a Mk2 8v Digi with a goosed MFA LCD screen.  Was the same when I got the car, but it's obviously taken a knock over the years and the LCD is now semi obscured with black.  Is it a rocking horse poo part to find and will it be a b!tch to replace, given that the car is a daily driver?
Well, I won't argue that it was a no-holds-barred adrenaline fuelled thrill-ride, but there's no way that you could perpetrate that amount of carnage and mayhem and not incur a considerable amount of paperwork.

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Fooked MFA Screen
« Reply #1 on: 21 September 2010, 10:22 »
nah can find loads of mk2 gti dash clocks on ebay, just make sure they're the right type to match your fusebox.
hazard switch on dash = 2 plug dash, hazard switch on column = 1 plug dash.

you could if you feel handy with the screwdrivers strip your clocks down and swap in another lcd screen, not sure if the screen comes off the pcb easily. if it does you could use a screen from some non-mfa clocks,  otherwise it would need to be from an mfa dash i think.  needs to be the same type of clockjs too, i.e. same number of plugs and same manufacturer.

to retain your milage swap the speedo over, its dead easy only a few screws and a pit o pcb to unclip from the back
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline Ruggy

  • Just got here
  • *
  • Posts: 7
Re: Fooked MFA Screen
« Reply #2 on: 21 September 2010, 10:32 »
I'll start looking into replacing it seriously then.  I had accepted it as being perma-fooked.
Well, I won't argue that it was a no-holds-barred adrenaline fuelled thrill-ride, but there's no way that you could perpetrate that amount of carnage and mayhem and not incur a considerable amount of paperwork.

Offline delirical

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 212
  • Like a g60
Re: Fooked MFA Screen
« Reply #3 on: 21 September 2010, 11:04 »
I have exactly the same issue, but will have some VDO guages going in soon.. hopefully.

Let me know how easy it is if you end up changing the clocks as i will probably do the same in the future.

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Fooked MFA Screen
« Reply #4 on: 21 September 2010, 11:13 »
have a read of the guide on how to change the dash lights, shows you how to remove the cluster :)
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline X4MGS

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,564
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: Fooked MFA Screen
« Reply #5 on: 21 September 2010, 11:33 »
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=143227.0

I used this when I did mine... Superb Write Up!!!

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline delirical

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 212
  • Like a g60
Re: Fooked MFA Screen
« Reply #6 on: 21 September 2010, 12:14 »
This Forum is awesome!!!  :grin:

Offline Ruggy

  • Just got here
  • *
  • Posts: 7
Re: Fooked MFA Screen
« Reply #7 on: 23 September 2010, 15:17 »
Many Tks.  Now just got to find the time to do it!  Cheers fellas
Well, I won't argue that it was a no-holds-barred adrenaline fuelled thrill-ride, but there's no way that you could perpetrate that amount of carnage and mayhem and not incur a considerable amount of paperwork.