Author Topic: Simple electrical problem (Hazard lights)  (Read 3776 times)

Offline jimmyhodge

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 110
Simple electrical problem (Hazard lights)
« on: 19 September 2010, 20:34 »
Ok going through the damaged wiring on my MK2. Pretty much sorted everything by spending hours tracing the broken wire then soldering in a new feed etc etc. Right only thing I am struggling with is getting the fog lights working.
I've managed to get hold of a wiring diagram for my model of car or so I believe its the correct model...
Mine being a 1.3 golf is proving to be abit of a problem when tracking down the correct pictures IE diagrams.
Can anyone tell me if on the mk2 1.3 golfs do they require a fog light relay as stated in my wiring diagram as I do not have fog lights on the front and I'm having a job to work out whether this is my problem or not.

I have a live feed up at my switch but not back at the Rear cluster. If you go by my wiring diagram it shows a live feed from fuse box up to the switch then from the switch down to a relay then from the relay back to the rear cluster. I've looked at it so much now i'm starting to confuse myself. There defintly isn't a relay on mine but there is a space for it. Can someone just point me in the right direction to get me back on the straight and narrow... :smiley:

ohhhhh shinnnnyyyy! Story of my life...



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: Simple electrical problem (Hazard lights)
« Reply #1 on: 19 September 2010, 21:06 »
I'm sure its in the FAQ fuse section in MK2 maintence.
But from my understanding all flashing lights need a relay of some kind to deal with timings.
If all fails you could directy feed one relay direct in the circuit to the hazard lights and run a postive feed as long as you have a signal wire from the stalk to fuse box, but generally there is a space for a relay to the hazards!

Jay
 

Offline jimmyhodge

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 110
Re: Simple electrical problem (Hazard lights)
« Reply #2 on: 19 September 2010, 22:00 »
The problem I have clipperjay is aI bought the car at a very very good price fire damged and party restored and am trying to bring it back to its former glory. I;ve manged to source where the relay should go but there'ssome confusion over wether my car runs one due to it not having front hazards.

What are you suggesting then? Using any old relay and putting it into circuit and making it work? I don't really want to borge anything tahts all not that it would be a bodge at all just my way of thinking about it is if I have to put things in that weren't there before if someone else comes across my workman ship and is in the know they will just think im a plonker... :wink:

My question is according to my wiring diagram it shows relay no 17 as the hazard relay but when looking in the fuse box there is no relay situated where it should or shouldn't be and I was hoping someone with a similer or same model car would elighten me on what tehre car runs  :smiley:

Sorry to seem like a jobs worth. I'm confusing myself teh more im looking at the wiring and im sure to a skilled electrician it would be a doddle to sort with ease! :sad: I refuse gto pay someone though the stubbourn git that I am... :wink:
ohhhhh shinnnnyyyy! Story of my life...



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline jimmyhodge

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 110
Re: Simple electrical problem (Hazard lights)
« Reply #3 on: 19 September 2010, 22:05 »
Also where can I find this FAQ page as no matter how hard i'm looking I can't seem to find it...   :angry:
Im doing well tonight arn't I...
ohhhhh shinnnnyyyy! Story of my life...



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline bvr

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 13
Re: Simple electrical problem (Hazard lights)
« Reply #4 on: 19 September 2010, 22:09 »
Hi

I've been reading your post to try and shed some light on your problem, but i cant understand it!!

You mention your front fog lights dont work, then mention your hazards in the next post?
I know what you're thinking, punk. You're thinking "did he fire six shots or only five?" Now to tell you the truth I forgot myself in all this excitement. But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow you head clean off, you've gotta ask yourself a question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: Simple electrical problem (Hazard lights)
« Reply #5 on: 19 September 2010, 22:28 »
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?board=40.0

Like the other chap the Hazards do run same circuit as the indicators we are on the same page right fella?

TBH unless you trace the switch wires to locate the live positive feed your stuffed either way re fixing the old circuit or just make a new one but run the switch direct to the dash where they are supposed to be?
A tad vague as to how bad this fire was it might be easier to buy another loom and fuse box and just make good with a total new electrical system? Problem with fire damage you can never see whats melted together along which wires LOL :evil:

Offline jimmyhodge

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 110
Re: Simple electrical problem (Hazard lights)
« Reply #6 on: 20 September 2010, 08:27 »
Yer thats where its confusing according to my wiring diagram the hazards run the same circuit!  But for the life of me I can't see this even when I trace the wire ! Sorry wasn't very clear on that one.
I've traced every single last trace wire for everything and only thing not working now is the rear fog lights. :smiley:

Seems an aweful waste to buy a new wiring loom and where on earth would I get one as every vag specialist I go to around here they always say the same thing before i've even mentioned what I want. (Sorry mk2 golf bits are all discontinued) which I do not believe concidering you can hold of plenty of bits else where just feel i may be situated around a bunch of incontinant specialists to be fair :wink:

Back to the wiring fault though. Anyone own a 1.3 golf that is willing to have a quick look at there fuse box for me and tell me if they have a relay on the far left bottom of the stack  :grin:

No one come across thsi problem before then... :sad:
ohhhhh shinnnnyyyy! Story of my life...



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline daniel-1986

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 394
Re: Simple electrical problem (Hazard lights)
« Reply #7 on: 20 September 2010, 08:47 »
just had a look at my 1.3 fuse box and thought it wud be easier to post a pic


Offline jimmyhodge

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 110
Re: Simple electrical problem (Hazard lights)
« Reply #8 on: 20 September 2010, 08:53 »
daniel-1986 that is brilliant ! :grin:

Answers my question straight away then! Guessing yours doesn't have the front fog lights as well then? If this is the case my wiring diagram must be for a different model vehicle with front fogs!

Thanks for the picture!  :cool:
ohhhhh shinnnnyyyy! Story of my life...



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline daniel-1986

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 394
Re: Simple electrical problem (Hazard lights)
« Reply #9 on: 20 September 2010, 08:59 »
nope i dont hav front fogs