Author Topic: Could you go out to your 16V gti and check something for me?  (Read 2241 times)

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
There are three Jack plugs one brown short wire, one grey long wire and the other blue jack for the 5th injector.
The Brown and grey jacks either goes on the WUR or the Block under the water flange on the side?
All on the same wire loom so tell me if the plug is grey or brown on your WUR please?
Cheers
Jay

Offline raferackstraw

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 904
Re: Could you go out to your 16V gti and check something for me?
« Reply #1 on: 18 September 2010, 18:37 »
on mine the plug to wur is grey with a brown wire and a red with white stripe

the one under the water flange is also grey  :grin: but has a green wire and a red wire [ i think they have a stripe in wire but cant make them out]

wayne gardner smokes one rothmans too many
500cc 2stroke bad for ya health

Offline emery1990

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,196
Re: Could you go out to your 16V gti and check something for me?
« Reply #2 on: 19 September 2010, 10:53 »
Yer mines grey on the wur and then brown on the other bit, and blue on the 5th injector.

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: Could you go out to your 16V gti and check something for me?
« Reply #3 on: 19 September 2010, 12:38 »
Cheers guys having major start problems at the moment some more checks would be good?

On the battery terminals can you confirm one big black- one big red+ Then one smaller red on+ and one smaller brown on negative the one is question is the single black one which should be on the negative I think but for some reasons it doesnt ground but when placed on postive the ignition leds light up so no good there mmmmm got troubles people!

Starter smoked a tad anyone got pictures of the terminals on the two plugs and big nut and bolt for the main postive?

She will turn over but no fire up also plenty of fuel coming in its got to be electrical this time.
Also can some one just check the number one HT lead nearest to oil cap goes to dizz cap position plug 11 o'clock?

 :cry:

Offline Mew

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,589
Re: Could you go out to your 16V gti and check something for me?
« Reply #4 on: 19 September 2010, 13:17 »
Cheers guys having major start problems at the moment some more checks would be good?

On the battery terminals can you confirm one big black- one big red+ Then one smaller red on+ and one smaller brown on negative the one is question is the single black one which should be on the negative I think but for some reasons it doesnt ground but when placed on postive the ignition leds light up so no good there mmmmm got troubles people!

Starter smoked a tad anyone got pictures of the terminals on the two plugs and big nut and bolt for the main postive?

She will turn over but no fire up also plenty of fuel coming in its got to be electrical this time.
Also can some one just check the number one HT lead nearest to oil cap goes to dizz cap position plug 11 o'clock?

 :cry:


Without looking, isn't the small black wire the ECU earth? If you've powered up the ECU without the earth connected then you might be in trouble...

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: Could you go out to your 16V gti and check something for me?
« Reply #5 on: 19 September 2010, 13:26 »
I'm already in trouble mate  :grin:
The only thing I did was to swap out the old battery terminals from a corrado J plate as the cables are thicker. But for love or money I know there is a ground somewhere it should have been simple but the only wierd thing was the black jack plug to starter motor looks like a postive to alternator but that plug grounds out when I test it? It turns over alright though..... without the black circular clip on the negative battery? Lost  :undecided:#

Just started it again and seems to be a puff of smoke on the starter terminals for some reason? Thinking the starter motor is struggling but it turns over ok? 12V to the starter and ignition switch is ok? mmmm?????

Oh well the starter motor had given up think it was the cause of the issues!!!!!! :lipsrsealed:



Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Could you go out to your 16V gti and check something for me?
« Reply #6 on: 20 September 2010, 10:21 »
wur is grey, 5th inj is blue and 5th inj thermoswitch is brown.

wur has red/white and brown wire
5th inj has black and green/white wire
thermoswitch has green/white and red/black wire

spade connector with 2 black wires goes to pin 50a on the starter motor. its not an earth, its the live feed for the 5th injector.

puff of smoke sounds to me like there is a problem with the wiring, remove the battery, starter and alt wires and give em all a damn good clean and refit. gearbox earth is common cause of slow turnover on starter, to rule in/out, run a jump lead from battery -ve to one of the starter mounting bolts
« Last Edit: 20 September 2010, 10:23 by rubjonny »
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: Could you go out to your 16V gti and check something for me?
« Reply #7 on: 20 September 2010, 10:22 »
Thanks RJ sorted having a bad day yesterday! By the way would that suppressor to the chasis leg affect all the electrical issues I had late?

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Could you go out to your 16V gti and check something for me?
« Reply #8 on: 20 September 2010, 10:24 »
you mean the ceramic thingy with a yellow wire out of each end? if so thats the dim-dip resistor, which brings on the dipped beam dimly when the sides are on. worst they can do is set fire to the headlight switch loom  :grin:
best to unplug it and throw in the bin, does nothing usefull and bad things can happen if left alone eventually. follow the wires from it back under the airbox and you'll find the 2 pin plug :)
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: Could you go out to your 16V gti and check something for me?
« Reply #9 on: 20 September 2010, 10:31 »
Year thats the fu*ker I thought I would just insulate both ends? :grin: