Author Topic: New wheels fitted  (Read 6486 times)

Offline X4MGS

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,564
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: New wheels fitted
« Reply #10 on: 19 September 2010, 00:01 »
Top mounts go Golf3 - Beavis will advise what the precise combination of parts is, but it's a lot more robust than the G2 set up.

I'll bet the bearings are just Golf2 bearings - they're all like that, sir.

VAG only sell MK3 Top mounts now... All others have been dropped and replaced with the MK3's...

I would fit new bumpstops whilst it all in bits!!

Only buy VAG Bearings (So I have bee told) and they arn't dear... Just bought mine from TPS
191 598 625   REAR WHEEL BEARING KIT   Retail 25.39    My Cost 17.77 EACH
Plus VAT!!

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline cняis

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,034
  • Know there's something burning over there...
Re: New wheels fitted
« Reply #11 on: 19 September 2010, 00:07 »
Top mounts go Golf3 - Beavis will advise what the precise combination of parts is, but it's a lot more robust than the G2 set up.

I'll bet the bearings are just Golf2 bearings - they're all like that, sir.

VAG only sell MK3 Top mounts now... All others have been dropped and replaced with the MK3's...

I would fit new bumpstops whilst it all in bits!!

Only buy VAG Bearings (So I have bee told) and they arn't dear... Just bought mine from TPS
191 598 625   REAR WHEEL BEARING KIT   Retail 25.39    My Cost 17.77 EACH
Plus VAT!!

I recall mine cost about £8 each plus vat

non genuine mind you.

they havent fallen off yet.


I don't think a semi will give the same results

Offline X4MGS

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,564
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: New wheels fitted
« Reply #12 on: 19 September 2010, 00:16 »
Ok so you save £8.00 a side...

If they last half as long you have to pay to get them fitted twice... Bet they don't cost £8.00 to fit...

Sorry But Its A No Brainer To Me...
 
Top mounts go Golf3 - Beavis will advise what the precise combination of parts is, but it's a lot more robust than the G2 set up.

I'll bet the bearings are just Golf2 bearings - they're all like that, sir.

VAG only sell MK3 Top mounts now... All others have been dropped and replaced with the MK3's...

I would fit new bumpstops whilst it all in bits!!

Only buy VAG Bearings (So I have bee told) and they arn't dear... Just bought mine from TPS
191 598 625   REAR WHEEL BEARING KIT   Retail 25.39    My Cost 17.77 EACH
Plus VAT!!

I recall mine cost about £8 each plus vat

non genuine mind you.

they havent fallen off yet.

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline cняis

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,034
  • Know there's something burning over there...
Re: New wheels fitted
« Reply #13 on: 19 September 2010, 00:34 »
im not worried about longevity aftermarket bearings as
a) they take little time to fit (and i've recently done them myself)
b) i do a low milage (120 miles a week)
c) we keep copy bearing kits on the shelf (i work in a factors)  :tongue:
d) seeing the quality of some genuine parts really does make me wonder  :undecided: i.e. we ordered a new genuine water flange on a diesel audi a4 and the quality of the mould was crap, the plastic looked like it was made in china, i.e. seemed a bit brittle... :laugh:
e) seeing as i was arse-raped for genuine sill cover supporting brackets and strips, even after trade discount, they can keep their genuine parts  :grin:
« Last Edit: 19 September 2010, 00:36 by cняis »


I don't think a semi will give the same results

Offline X4MGS

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,564
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: New wheels fitted
« Reply #14 on: 19 September 2010, 01:02 »
 :cool: For You....

After my recent experience with aftermarket parts I won't be using them again....

I've had to replace both temp senders and front shocks...

And £16.00 won't get you 4 wheels taken off at a garage these days... It's also the agro of finding out whats gone wrong....

Just not worth it IMO...

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline dan_apps

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,677
  • too low for british roads!
Re: New wheels fitted
« Reply #15 on: 19 September 2010, 10:20 »
like you chris i go for aftermarket MAINLY! bearings and the like i havent had any issues with, i know Ben Lessani had alot of issues with aftermarket, wasnt that to do with cooling system though?

Offline Diamond Hell

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,992
  • Opinions я Us
Re: New wheels fitted
« Reply #16 on: 19 September 2010, 18:55 »
So do VAG sprinkle their parts with fairy dust or something to make them that good?

The thing is that many of the aftermarket 'BQ' (best quality for those who are hard of thinking) are made to the same standard as genuine in the same factory they're just stamped with things like 'BERU' or other well known specialist manufacturer's names instead of 'VAG'. 

That's it.  It's not complicated and in many cases it's simply not worth the premium.

If you have a newer car and you were paying a specialist to fit a bearing instead of fitting genuine then I'd say you were getting bargain basement and yep, you might be back there again in 12months, but if you buy smart and branded then you'll be fine. 

I only buy genuine if I absolutely cannot get what I want from a specialist, I don't seem to have many failures and it's not like I drive gently.

Spend the least possible and you'll always have problems, but buy a good brand and you'll very likely be just fine.  :rolleyes:
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline cняis

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,034
  • Know there's something burning over there...
Re: New wheels fitted
« Reply #17 on: 19 September 2010, 23:33 »

The thing is that many of the aftermarket 'BQ' (best quality for those who are hard of thinking) are made to the same standard as genuine in the same factory they're just stamped with things like 'BERU' or other well known specialist manufacturer's names instead of 'VAG'. 


As we say in our job, "its all dug up from the same hole in the ground!"



I don't think a semi will give the same results

Offline X4MGS

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,564
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: New wheels fitted
« Reply #18 on: 20 September 2010, 00:32 »
Each to thier own... I don't have bucket loads of time to find out what or what isn't an OEM supplier & if it was that simple we would all be doing it!!!

Rear Bearings... You tell me who the OEM supplier is and get me a price that is near to the aftermarket ones and then give me a cast iron gaurentee that they will last as long as the VAG ones...

My Mechanic has worked for VAG for a number of years and he has suggested to me to buy VAG as in his vast experiance they last much longer than any others... That could be bullsh!t just so he dont have to replace them FOC when they go wrong... Or it could JUST be YEARS of experiance with working with VAG parts....

Sorry but you can keep your fairy dust and sprinkle it on your private parts and see if they work better...

I will stick with OEM parts that are proven to do the job....

So do VAG sprinkle their parts with fairy dust or something to make them that good?

The thing is that many of the aftermarket 'BQ' (best quality for those who are hard of thinking) are made to the same standard as genuine in the same factory they're just stamped with things like 'BERU' or other well known specialist manufacturer's names instead of 'VAG'. 

That's it.  It's not complicated and in many cases it's simply not worth the premium.

If you have a newer car and you were paying a specialist to fit a bearing instead of fitting genuine then I'd say you were getting bargain basement and yep, you might be back there again in 12months, but if you buy smart and branded then you'll be fine. 

I only buy genuine if I absolutely cannot get what I want from a specialist, I don't seem to have many failures and it's not like I drive gently.

Spend the least possible and you'll always have problems, but buy a good brand and you'll very likely be just fine.  :rolleyes:

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline Diamond Hell

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,992
  • Opinions я Us
Re: New wheels fitted
« Reply #19 on: 20 September 2010, 14:02 »
I will stick with OEM parts that are proven to do the job....

Here is a consignment of FAIL shipped in specifically for your confidence:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-10846035

As the man here says - you can't trust genuine parts until they're in boxes with proper security and tamperproofing:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=162949.0

As things like brake pads are *sort of important* in stopping my car, I'd rather buy my kit from a supplier who takes this rather more seriously.

HTHs.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.