Author Topic: Repair prices & questions  (Read 1892 times)

Offline Tboy

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 12
Repair prices & questions
« on: 18 September 2010, 04:31 »
Hey there people. Got some major repair work needed and just wondering if the price i've been quoted sounds reasonable. The issues:
Rear axle beam badly corroded
Front wishbone arms badly corroded & bushes perished
Rear axle carrier bushes perished heavily
Front pads approx 90% worn
Rear pads approx 90% worn
It's going to come to around £800. Does that sound about right?

Also, would you guys always recommend going to a VW specialist over a bog standard garage?
I guess they all vary but are small, one-man operation places generally best or larger garages?

And finally, I had the brake lining replaced a few years ago and it came to just under £500. Does that sound about right?
« Last Edit: 18 September 2010, 04:33 by Tboy »

Offline oakgreengolf

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,304
  • CAR FOR SALE PM FOR FURTHER INFO
Re: Repair prices & questions
« Reply #1 on: 18 September 2010, 08:54 »
Its the labour costs involved. Both prices sound a tad high to me but I rarley take mine to a garage for work

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: Repair prices & questions
« Reply #2 on: 18 September 2010, 09:37 »
Rear axle beam badly corroded - no idea
Rear axle carrier bushes perished heavily - no idea
Front wishbone arms badly corroded & bushes perished - £20 per side for whole wishbone inc. bushes from ECP, takes 1hr per side to fit
Front pads approx 90% worn - pads and discs are £60 for brembo + pagid from GSF, takes 30 mins per side
Rear pads approx 90% worn - rear discs pads and bearings are £60 from GSF, takes 30 mins per side
It's going to come to around £800. Does that sound about right? Maybe, garages can charge what they want, DIY it

Also, would you guys always recommend going to a VW specialist over a bog standard garage? No
I guess they all vary but are small, one-man operation places generally best or larger garages? Whoever you are happier with

And finally, I had the brake lining replaced a few years ago and it came to just under £500. Does that sound about right? Lines and fittings are about £20, takes about 3-4hrs to make up the lines


Offline emery1990

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,196
Re: Repair prices & questions
« Reply #3 on: 18 September 2010, 11:45 »
£100+ an hour lol

If i can work on my car im sure anyone can mate, they are really easy, i just struggles as i dont have a very good tool kit.

All i need is allen keys and spanners atm !

Offline Tboy

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 12
Re: Repair prices & questions
« Reply #4 on: 21 September 2010, 12:36 »
Thanks for the feedback.