Author Topic: Worth having a tracker?  (Read 11619 times)

Offline WHITEY20

• GTI forum regular
  • Love my new Golf
Worth having a tracker?
« on: 18 September 2010, 00:30 »
I,ve rescently ordered my new gti mk 6 and wondered wether or not it's worth fitting a tracker or just paying the GAP insurance incase it gets stolen. Any views?

DSG, 18", P/A+cam, Winter/P, Lux/P, Dynaudio, FTI, Bi-Xenons

Offline Buck

• I live here
  • Das Auto
Re: Worth having a tracker?
« Reply #1 on: 18 September 2010, 00:59 »
I,ve rescently ordered my new gti mk 6 and wondered wether or not it's worth fitting a tracker or just paying the GAP insurance incase it gets stolen. Any views?

I had a tracker on my previous car (Audi) and TBH it gives you piece of mind and can reduce your premium but as you don't advertise it ont he car it isn't a deterrent.

It might get you yor car back if it is stolen (majority of which are key thefts and are stolen to order etc.) but it won't stop it getting stolen

I thought about the CobraTrak offered by the Dealer but haven't gone for it as yet.

Offline evo1986

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #2 on: 18 September 2010, 09:19 »
GAP as a minimum, as people have found out on here and r forum's cars get stolen and yes they do get recovered sometimes. But what if it didnt! OK you will get a decent amount of it back from your insurance company compared to other cars as they hold there money pretty well all this considered, however for the sake of a few hundred quid I have to question peoples sanity when they dont take it on a newish car £20k+ fair enough on a banger.

Tracker yes it will assist the car being recovered much quicker but still doesnt stop the person from stealing it, when I had my car nad revo sps switch I am sure there was somethign on that which would deactivate the ecu so even if they did manange to get there hands on the key they would need the revo sps swtich aswell anyway................
Sales Manager
Select Car Leasing West Midlands
Leeevans@selectcarleasing.co.uk
WhatsApp: 07389107119

Former General sales manager at Volkswagen for over 13 years.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #3 on: 18 September 2010, 10:24 »
You have to ask yourself. Would you want it back if somone stole it?
My reply would be no.

I do have a GSM dialer on mine. It basically phones me if the alarm goes off. This also meens of cause using one of the many sites out there i can trace the GSM signal if i wanted too the same as you can a mobile phone.

Im also going to have http://www.pentagonglass.com/supaglass/ fitted when i get round to it  :embarassed: (Have an earlier version of this on the mk1)

GAP i ment to take out and again did not get round too doing  :embarassed: but its something i would reccomend highly too anyone. Im looking at a few sites today to try and take it out at this late stage late.  :undecided:
« Last Edit: 18 September 2010, 10:26 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline dustybones

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 18 September 2010, 10:46 »
If you got it back within a very short space of time before it was hammered to death, yup I would want it back, but after a few days of it being Johnny TWOCer's new toy for him and is brain dead mates - Nah I would not want it back. I'm not sure just how quickly the police react to a car theft with a tracker type system activated. Anybody had any experience of this??
Also the cost of a tracker type system plus subscription is not really offset by the discount on insurance, so I don't really see that the owner is the winner. TBH.

cheers

Offline Buck

• I live here
  • Das Auto
« Reply #5 on: 18 September 2010, 11:22 »
You have to ask yourself. Would you want it back if somone stole it?
My reply would be no.

I do have a GSM dialer on mine. It basically phones me if the alarm goes off. This also meens of cause using one of the many sites out there i can trace the GSM signal if i wanted too the same as you can a mobile phone.

Im also going to have http://www.pentagonglass.com/supaglass/ fitted when i get round to it  :embarassed: (Have an earlier version of this on the mk1)

GAP i ment to take out and again did not get round too doing  :embarassed: but its something i would reccomend highly too anyone. Im looking at a few sites today to try and take it out at this late stage late.  :undecided:

Snoopy

I took out GAP on my car - based on a £15k return to invoice type deal through www.ala.co.uk

It was £123 but as I went through www.Quidco.co.uk I got 25% of that back so it has cost me less than £100 for piece of mind but the dealer originally quoted £650 then the best deal he could do was £250 "at cost" yeh right!

Ala do two variatons on the policy - if you've owned the car less than 45 days and then more than 45 days so you should still get a quote....

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #6 on: 18 September 2010, 11:55 »
Thanks its very much apreciated. :cool: :smiley:  I will be checking there and a couple of others later today/tomorrow. Anyone that has recomendations to try please let me know.  :smiley:
Got my gap insurance.
« Last Edit: 21 September 2010, 19:02 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline mike.

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 18 September 2010, 13:34 »
I took out GAP on my car - based on a £15k return to invoice type deal through www.ala.co.uk

It was £123 but as I went through www.Quidco.co.uk I got 25% of that back so it has cost me less than £100 for piece of mind but the dealer originally quoted £650 then the best deal he could do was £250 "at cost" yeh right!

Ala do two variatons on the policy - if you've owned the car less than 45 days and then more than 45 days so you should still get a quote....

Exactly the same as me including the Quidco   :laugh:

Dealer was the same as well, finally getting down to the bargain price of £250..
Mk6 GTI 3dr | DSG | Tornado Red | 18" Monza 2 | LED Xenons | RNS510 | Bluetooth | Smoked LED tails | Cruise | Reversing Camera | TPMS | - now sold :(

Offline WHITEY20

• GTI forum regular
  • Love my new Golf
« Reply #8 on: 18 September 2010, 14:14 »
£100 GAP insurance sounds very reasonable. A Tracker would cost £180 - £235(depending on model) plus £350 lifetime subscription, well aslong as you own the car. Most cars of this type/cost are stolen to order for resale so I would probablly want mine back - problem being another 5 or 6 month wait on order of a new one to same spec.

DSG, 18", P/A+cam, Winter/P, Lux/P, Dynaudio, FTI, Bi-Xenons

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 18 September 2010, 19:45 »
This thread is going to give me sleepless nights!

I think I will clamp, wheel and pedal lock the car every night, install security glass and subsequently snooze serenely.

Tomorrow, Halfords will get some business, i.e. if the car is still parked where I left it. :rolleyes:

I'm serious. :lipsrsealed:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_216879_langId_-1_categoryId_165565
« Last Edit: 18 September 2010, 20:27 by am1w »
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP