Author Topic: Window guides/runners...?  (Read 1542 times)

Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327
Window guides/runners...?
« on: 15 September 2010, 20:04 »
My drivers side window has always been abit stiff and screeches a little too, Ive just fitted an electric window motor to that window which showed just how stiff it was as the motor really struggled, I took off the felt? guide thingy towards the front of the door as I was planning on getting new ones anyway and it loosened right up and now runs smoothly, so that was clearly the problem, but my question is, Do I actually NEED to replace it?  what is it there for anyway? Window seems to go up and down quite happily without it...

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: Window guides/runners...?
« Reply #1 on: 15 September 2010, 20:09 »
Its exactly that, a guide, to stop the glass falling out of place when wound down.

Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327
Re: Window guides/runners...?
« Reply #2 on: 15 September 2010, 20:13 »
ah ok, well it seems fine without it but il replace it with a new one just incase.

Cheers me dears

Offline The Mighty Elvi

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,403
  • I'm better than you today.
Re: Window guides/runners...?
« Reply #3 on: 15 September 2010, 23:22 »
I took off the felt? guide thingy towards the front of the door as I was planning on getting new ones anyway and it loosened right up and now runs smoothly, so that was clearly the problem, but my question is, Do I actually NEED to replace it?  what is it there for anyway?

VW just put it there to confuse you. They were flush with cash that month.


Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327
Re: Window guides/runners...?
« Reply #4 on: 15 September 2010, 23:23 »
I took off the felt? guide thingy towards the front of the door as I was planning on getting new ones anyway and it loosened right up and now runs smoothly, so that was clearly the problem, but my question is, Do I actually NEED to replace it?  what is it there for anyway?

VW just put it there to confuse you. They were flush with cash that month.



VW manage to confuse me most days  :laugh:

Offline Thom89

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,092
  • Looking for an "Icebreaker"
Re: Window guides/runners...?
« Reply #5 on: 16 September 2010, 02:50 »
The guide is there to allow the window to track properly, while winding the window up, or down while the car is moving at speed,
while the car is static, it will wind perfectly without it!
never lubricate window channels with WD 40, always use French chalk...
Thom

Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327
Re: Window guides/runners...?
« Reply #6 on: 16 September 2010, 08:52 »
The guide is there to allow the window to track properly, while winding the window up, or down while the car is moving at speed,
while the car is static, it will wind perfectly without it!
never lubricate window channels with WD 40, always use French chalk...
Thom

ah, now thats the answer I need, I didnt realize there would be any difference whilst the car is moving.

Il get some ordered today, cheers dude :)