Author Topic: super duper epically confused, I HATE wiring!  (Read 3210 times)

Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327
super duper epically confused, I HATE wiring!
« on: 15 September 2010, 18:40 »
ok Just got my electric window loom in the post, it was sent separate from the mechs etc cause the guy forgot them.

Now, ive installed these before but everything was left plugged into things so it was easier. This time I see no relay and I have this mess to suss out...



Can anyone shed some light on how this is supposed to work?  Or if anythings missing or if I should start a fresh loom somehow? or anything cause my head hurts :(

I searched and found a topic that about making your own loom but that image is no longer hosted, I woul draher use my current one if its usable tho..

Offline tony_ack

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 757
Re: super duper epically confused, I HATE wiring!
« Reply #1 on: 15 September 2010, 19:16 »
That looks like a retrofitted custom-made loom - very similar to the one I've just replaced in my car.

It is probably one that was made following the guide in the link.

A genuine loom has a proper connector for each motor, and proper connectors for switches, along with a flat fuse near the fusebox and a relay near the switches.

It should be possible to work out how to fit it to the car - it needs an earth and an ignition live feed. Do a search for how the switches are wired up - the loom will feed to one switch, and then pass through from that to the other.

If you find it a little confusing to work out (don't worry, you wouldn't be alone...) hold out for an original VW loom.
1992 VW Golf MK2 GTI
1995 VW Corrado VR6

Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327
Re: super duper epically confused, I HATE wiring!
« Reply #2 on: 15 September 2010, 19:20 »
right ok, il have another look, the bloody things pissing me off tho

Offline X4MGS

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,564
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: super duper epically confused, I HATE wiring!
« Reply #3 on: 15 September 2010, 19:43 »
Your welcome to Sorting that lot out!!  :tongue:

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327
Re: super duper epically confused, I HATE wiring!
« Reply #4 on: 15 September 2010, 19:59 »
Ok done it, well half of it, passenger window can wait until the sun shows itself again. :D

Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327
Re: super duper epically confused, I HATE wiring!
« Reply #5 on: 15 September 2010, 20:06 »
What confuses me now is if you can make a loom like the one I have without a relay that works fine... what did the relay do?

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: super duper epically confused, I HATE wiring!
« Reply #6 on: 15 September 2010, 20:10 »
what did the relay do?

Separates high current from low current circuits.


Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327
Re: super duper epically confused, I HATE wiring!
« Reply #7 on: 15 September 2010, 20:15 »
what did the relay do?

Separates high current from low current circuits.



is that necessary? is it unwise to not have one or is it fine?

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: super duper epically confused, I HATE wiring!
« Reply #8 on: 15 September 2010, 20:18 »
The risk is sparking/fire/damage on the contacts in the switch.

Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327
Re: super duper epically confused, I HATE wiring!
« Reply #9 on: 15 September 2010, 20:22 »
hmm, I think it would probably be a good idea to get me a relay then :D

Any idea what one it is?  is it something I can pick up from like maplin or do i need to find an original one?