Author Topic: GTI windscreens - what glass do I have?  (Read 6151 times)

Offline jmsheahan

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,147
Re: GTI windscreens - what glass do I have?
« Reply #10 on: 14 September 2010, 16:33 »
Mine definitely has tinted stamped in the corner.

Offline Thom89

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,092
  • Looking for an "Icebreaker"
Re: GTI windscreens - what glass do I have?
« Reply #11 on: 15 September 2010, 00:37 »
Green tint is the only one available afaik, however there is a choice of what Top tint you may want, if you want to bother, If it was me, I would go for a blue top tint on a red car.
Thom

Offline jmsheahan

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,147
Re: GTI windscreens - what glass do I have?
« Reply #12 on: 17 September 2010, 11:15 »
Thanks for the advice  :smiley:

Good shout on national windscreens. £70 for a new green tint screen fitted this morning. Bargain  :smiley:

Offline jamie_pyrite

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 901
Re: GTI windscreens - what glass do I have?
« Reply #13 on: 17 September 2010, 12:03 »
I was under the impression that 8v gti's didn't have green tint.


If you have any decent scrappies around, have a look in there! All my windscreens have been from the scrappys or friends breaking mk2s and I've had perfect ones every time! Really easy to fit yourself. I took my windscreen out myself, stuck the seal on the new windscreen, got it in place, etc. then just asked my neighbour to push down on it from the outside while I popped the seal in. Piece of p!ss with two blunt breadknives!

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: GTI windscreens - what glass do I have?
« Reply #14 on: 17 September 2010, 12:57 »
Good shout on national windscreens. £70 for a new green tint screen fitted this morning. Bargain  :smiley:

I know! When I was hunting around I called Autoglass - and they wanted £300! National windscreens were miles cheaper and really decent guys.

Offline dan_apps

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,677
  • too low for british roads!
Re: GTI windscreens - what glass do I have?
« Reply #15 on: 18 September 2010, 13:59 »
wasnt there a full blue tint on some earlier gti's?  :undecided:

Offline Thom89

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,092
  • Looking for an "Icebreaker"
Re: GTI windscreens - what glass do I have?
« Reply #16 on: 18 September 2010, 14:50 »
I'm sure blue and green were available Dan, my mate who supplied my new screen 18 months ago, demonstrated that my new screen was a bluey/greeny tint, by holding a white peice of paper under it, in other words one tint does all :smiley: only option was the top tint colour, green or blue
From new there was also a third option, though what it was called escapes me at the moment, but it had a highly reflective, chrome like tint to it... dare I say "Rare"  :evil:

Thom

Offline Horney

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 10,782
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
Re: GTI windscreens - what glass do I have?
« Reply #17 on: 18 September 2010, 14:53 »
Chromalux.

Nick

Offline Thom89

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,092
  • Looking for an "Icebreaker"
Re: GTI windscreens - what glass do I have?
« Reply #18 on: 18 September 2010, 15:02 »
Thats the one! :grin: :grin: nice one Nick.. I nearly had a set off ebay a couple of years ago, they made nearly £400 iirc, just too much money at the time, and needed to be collected from Devon somewhere, so gave it a miss, sort of regret it now :rolleyes:
Thom

Offline Horney

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 10,782
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
Re: GTI windscreens - what glass do I have?
« Reply #19 on: 18 September 2010, 15:04 »
I think Lewy off here had the last few pieces VW had a couple of years ago. Chromalux Happich pop outs, now that's some rare MKII glass!

nick