Author Topic: GTI windscreens - what glass do I have?  (Read 6129 times)

Offline jmsheahan

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,147
GTI windscreens - what glass do I have?
« on: 14 September 2010, 11:57 »
I need to get my windscreen replaced, which I think is the original and am unsure what glass I have - can anyone help me out? Does anyone happen to know what type of glass 90 spec mk2 GTI's came with from the factory? I don't think it's green glass, just looks darker than clear and is stamped 'tinted'. I've yet to go to VW, but BBT only stock clear and green glass. What colour is mine?

In addition, will I need to replace the windscreen seal or can I get away with reusing the old one?

Thanks  :smiley:

Probably the best pic I have of the screen without harsh sunlight on it:


Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: GTI windscreens - what glass do I have?
« Reply #1 on: 14 September 2010, 13:31 »
In addition, will I need to replace the windscreen seal or can I get away with reusing the old one?

Unless there is something wrong with it, you should be fine. Remember national windscreens - £86+VAT for a Pilkington screen :)

Offline jmsheahan

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,147
Re: GTI windscreens - what glass do I have?
« Reply #2 on: 14 September 2010, 13:41 »
Cheers Ben. I shall be ringing them but I just wanted to clue myself up on screens before ringing. Want to make sure I don't get fobbed off with a clear one  :smiley:

Seriously annoyed after getting the other chip repaired, I got another crack that's completely mangled the screen. 2 in less than a week!  :angry:

I'm guessing it's not the green glass then.

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: GTI windscreens - what glass do I have?
« Reply #3 on: 14 September 2010, 14:17 »
As far as I know Jim the Rallyes and G60 had bonded green tinted windows which are obsolite now, so in hindsight 16V 8Vers ahould be striaght forward seal strip around and plonking it in, no bonded needed I think?

I had a bad screen..... made it worse somehow :rolleyes: so got the job done thorugh insurance paid excess of £50 for a £200 windscreen in the end LOL!!! :wink:
Jay

Offline Horney

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 10,782
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
Re: GTI windscreens - what glass do I have?
« Reply #4 on: 14 September 2010, 14:27 »
AFAIK all GTI's came with green tint no? All mine have been.

nick

Offline SoundillusioN

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 10,004
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
Re: GTI windscreens - what glass do I have?
« Reply #5 on: 14 September 2010, 14:37 »
AFAIK all GTI's came with green tint no? All mine have been.

nick
All GTIs had green tint since my car onwards. sure of it..

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: GTI windscreens - what glass do I have?
« Reply #6 on: 14 September 2010, 14:38 »
AFAIK all GTI's came with green tint no? All mine have been.

nick

My Rallyes had a very green tint on it Nick, compared to the GTi's but the bonded and non bonded seperates them for sure!

Offline SoundillusioN

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 10,004
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
Re: GTI windscreens - what glass do I have?
« Reply #7 on: 14 September 2010, 14:44 »
so the answer is a normal non-bonded GREEN tinted winscreen for your car.  :wink:

Offline jmsheahan

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,147
Re: GTI windscreens - what glass do I have?
« Reply #8 on: 14 September 2010, 15:04 »
Cheers guys, help appreciated. Will be making some inquiries.

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: GTI windscreens - what glass do I have?
« Reply #9 on: 14 September 2010, 15:12 »
My original GTi screen was non-tint (and so was my new one).