Author Topic: I HAVE A PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 1615 times)

Offline kevjenkins

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 70
  • VW ITS A RELIGION
I HAVE A PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!
« on: 13 September 2010, 17:55 »
My golf gti has delveoped a noise over the last 2 weeks since i changed the lower arms!
i have since found that the bolt to the rear of the arm is just spining and i think the capivated nut has come away!!!! inside the chassis.

QUESTION CAN I GET TO THIS NUT ??????????????????
thanks guys in advance!!! :kiss:

Offline Thom89

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,092
  • Looking for an "Icebreaker"
Re: I HAVE A PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 13 September 2010, 18:25 »
iirc you have to cut a small hole in the floor, also, iirc VW did a mod to cope with this problem... Im sure someone else will chip in if I've got it wrong

Thom

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: I HAVE A PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: 13 September 2010, 19:15 »
Sounds more like you didn't put the metal washer thing on the rear bolt.

Edit: Ignore the above, I mis-read your post, let me dig out the repair thread by RJ
« Last Edit: 13 September 2010, 19:17 by Ben Lessani »

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author

Offline cняis

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,034
  • Know there's something burning over there...
Re: I HAVE A PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: 13 September 2010, 21:21 »
bought my 1st gti like it, as said above the carpet will have to come up, cut a hole in the footwell and weld another nut inside the chassis leg.

got mine done for about £85 inc vat.

if you grab the offending wheel, you should be able to move it freely to and fro  :shocked:


I don't think a semi will give the same results

Offline kevjenkins

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 70
  • VW ITS A RELIGION
Re: I HAVE A PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: 15 September 2010, 08:25 »
I did it as per instruction BUT instead of payin someone else to do it i nipped down to machine mart got a welder!(£74) and its all good now nice and tight as she used to be!!??!??!?!?!

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: I HAVE A PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: 15 September 2010, 10:48 »
I'd be impressed if you got sufficient penetration with a £74 welder :rolleyes:

Offline Horney

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 10,782
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
Re: I HAVE A PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: 15 September 2010, 11:06 »
I'd be impressed if you got sufficient penetration with a £74 welder :rolleyes:

It only needs to be tacked to stop it spinning though surely?

Nick

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: I HAVE A PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: 15 September 2010, 12:50 »
I guess, but its a fair whack of torque for the rear subframe bolts.