Author Topic: driveshaft ball thingies  (Read 2312 times)

Offline ramps

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 85
driveshaft ball thingies
« on: 12 September 2010, 09:03 »
Hello, so last night I was putting the car back together put the nearside drive shaft on fine but when iI come to doing the other side the gearbox end of the drive shaft fell apart, I managed to get the balls back into the cage and the outer cover thing on but it was stuck solid so it wouldnt roll around lik it should. Is ther a certain way of doing it because I can only see one way of putting it back together?

Offline raferackstraw

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 904
Re: driveshaft ball thingies
« Reply #1 on: 12 September 2010, 11:09 »
get a new cv joint mate, not worth trying to repair old one, and a driveshaft smashing thru the gearbox will only cost more money.

wayne gardner smokes one rothmans too many
500cc 2stroke bad for ya health

Offline ramps

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 85
Re: driveshaft ball thingies
« Reply #2 on: 12 September 2010, 11:15 »
Gutted! do you know if any driveshaft off a mk2 will fit or will it have to be a gti one? the gearbox has a green endcap on it if that makes a differance?

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: driveshaft ball thingies
« Reply #3 on: 12 September 2010, 13:07 »
I would have thought the GTI driveshafts would be much thicker.

Offline danny_p

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,644
Re: driveshaft ball thingies
« Reply #4 on: 12 September 2010, 23:08 »
putting cv joints backtogether is dark art.  youve done the hard bit of getting the balls in, now all you have to is tap the outer about about a bit so teh balls settel where they should be and it'll be fine
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline ramps

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 85
Re: driveshaft ball thingies
« Reply #5 on: 13 September 2010, 07:17 »
but I have been beating it wirh a soft hamer trying to get it right! Am I not beating hard enough?

Offline danny_p

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,644
Re: driveshaft ball thingies
« Reply #6 on: 14 September 2010, 08:22 »
they often need a good tap to perswade them to move again, describeing how hard to hit somethgin is tricky tho
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline weazgti

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 955
Re: driveshaft ball thingies
« Reply #7 on: 14 September 2010, 18:48 »
Gutted! do you know if any driveshaft off a mk2 will fit or will it have to be a gti one? the gearbox has a green endcap on it if that makes a differance?


8v and 16v are different sizes

Offline theclash

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 331
Re: driveshaft ball thingies
« Reply #8 on: 14 September 2010, 20:33 »
as already said for what they cost get a new one not worth arsing about trying to fix the old one and end up doing the job twice  :laugh:

Offline ramps

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 85
Re: driveshaft ball thingies
« Reply #9 on: 15 September 2010, 17:39 »
I think I may have to try fixing it as there is no one with mk2 parts is in the north! we'll see what happens