Author Topic: Urgent ignition switch help  (Read 1566 times)

Offline benjer182

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 31
Urgent ignition switch help
« on: 11 September 2010, 14:04 »
Ok have a new switch as mine started to break up I also have the steering wheel off and the stalks and cowlings but how on earth does the old one come out ??

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: Urgent ignition switch help
« Reply #1 on: 11 September 2010, 14:06 »
Ok have a new switch as mine started to break up I also have the steering wheel off and the stalks and cowlings but how on earth does the old one come out ??

Read your Haynes, its got a pretty good description.

Offline benjer182

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 31
Re: Urgent ignition switch help
« Reply #2 on: 11 September 2010, 14:10 »
In which section 10.10 ? No offence bit I thought that was useless lol

Offline The Mighty Elvi

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,403
  • I'm better than you today.
Re: Urgent ignition switch help
« Reply #3 on: 11 September 2010, 18:17 »
iirc I did mine last year.  Uncouple the steering column from the universal coupling in the footwell  and remove from car.

Unlock the ingition barrel so the column spins freely.  This will make it easier to reach the screw holding it to the lock housing.  (See pic with column removed) you will need to bend the end of the screwdriver to make the angle if you dont remove the steering column.

Unscrew and it pulls out.



http://golfgtiguides.co.uk/guides/how-to-change-the-ignition-housing-and-barrel-on-a-mk2-golf/

« Last Edit: 11 September 2010, 18:20 by The Flying Elvi »

Offline benjer182

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 31
Re: Urgent ignition switch help
« Reply #4 on: 12 September 2010, 08:12 »
All sorted now thanks for that mate

Offline cняis

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,034
  • Know there's something burning over there...
Re: Urgent ignition switch help
« Reply #5 on: 12 September 2010, 10:38 »
just a quick note for anyone else trying this, if your steering column wont reach the UJ properly after removal, its probably shortened itself as its telescopic. you can extend it again easily enough. difficult to spot it mind you!


I don't think a semi will give the same results