Author Topic: Anyone had these?  (Read 5083 times)

Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327
Re: Anyone had these?
« Reply #10 on: 11 September 2010, 01:11 »
whats EL foil and where do I get red illuminated needles? :p

Offline The Mighty Elvi

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,403
  • I'm better than you today.
Re: Anyone had these?
« Reply #11 on: 11 September 2010, 18:27 »
Electro luminescent foil.  You cut it to shape and pass a current through it to light it up.  They use it in signs.  The german chap in the video used Porche needles.  They are lit by LED's


Much better using EL than LED's as you get equal light spread, LED's give you bright spots.


http://www.metal-monkey.co.uk/acatalog/

http://www.wunschtacho.de/fileadmin/wunschtacho/download/einbau/allgemein_en/Manual%20LightFoil%20EL%20Foil.pdf


http://www1.conrad-uk.com/scripts/wgate/zcop_uk/~flN0YXRlPTE4NjMwMDE4MjM=?~template=PCAT_AREA_S_BROWSE&glb_user_js=Y&shop=UK&zhmmh_lfo=&zhmmh_area_kz=&product_show_id=184070&gvlon=&p_init_ipc=X&p_page_to_display=fromoutside&~cookies=1&cookie_n[1]=uk_insert&cookie_v[1]=8V&cookie_d[1]=&cookie_p[1]=%2f&cookie_e[1]=Wed%2c+13-Oct-2010+17%3a23%3a33+GMT&scrwidth=1024




Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327
Re: Anyone had these?
« Reply #12 on: 11 September 2010, 18:37 »
hmm for someone that isnt very clued up on this sort of thing, it looks like a massively time consuming and confusing task...

Offline The Mighty Elvi

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,403
  • I'm better than you today.
Re: Anyone had these?
« Reply #13 on: 11 September 2010, 21:52 »
Cut the foil to shape.  Put it over the dials.  Then put the Metal Monley dails on top.  Take the feed from the dash bulbs to the EL foil.  Bit it of wire, bit of solder.  Job done.

Same with the needles, or just paint them red

Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327
Re: Anyone had these?
« Reply #14 on: 11 September 2010, 23:53 »
hmmm, ok, may attempt it if its that simple.

I want those light up needles, any idea where I can get em?  I tried eBay :(

Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327
Re: Anyone had these?
« Reply #15 on: 12 September 2010, 00:03 »
how does the light from the foil get thru the metal dials?

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: Anyone had these?
« Reply #16 on: 12 September 2010, 19:33 »
I think you should change your name from Haribo to "Mr. Questions", my 8 yr old little brother asks fewer questions than you!

Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327
Re: Anyone had these?
« Reply #17 on: 12 September 2010, 20:11 »
And your name to Mr intolerant? :p

Can your 8 year old tell me a good place to get some EL foil?