Author Topic: Help - Advice required concerning power steering pump gti 16v  (Read 3889 times)

Offline xkaty_h

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 203
We've just changed the belts on my Mk2 whilst doing a few jobs and are struggling with the power steering pump pulley - when tensioned the pulley will not sit straight in relation to the alternator pulley.

My boyfriend's brother, who is doing the job, thinks there may be some spacers missing somewhere but we would appreciate if anyone could confirm just what the power steering pump requires to bolt up correctly.

Attached are a couple of photos of the pump, as yet un-tensioned.

Cheers




Offline Mew

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,589
Re: Help - Advice required concerning power steering pump gti 16v
« Reply #1 on: 08 September 2010, 17:30 »
How is that so clean? :embarassed:

Offline xkaty_h

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 203
Re: Help - Advice required concerning power steering pump gti 16v
« Reply #2 on: 08 September 2010, 17:38 »
Well the engine's been out for a rebuild and it got cleaned up then :)

Can't claim that as my doing I'm afraid.

Offline Thom89

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,092
  • Looking for an "Icebreaker"
Re: Help - Advice required concerning power steering pump gti 16v
« Reply #3 on: 08 September 2010, 18:22 »
I put 3 washers behind my PS pulley to stop it catching the water pump pulley, I then ordered a new pulley for the PS pump. and it caught just the same, so, I then cut the center out of the old pulley, and made a spacer out of it, that fits perfectly inside the new pulley, it works perfectly, and life is too short to worry about 2.5mm of clearance :smiley:
Thom

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: Help - Advice required concerning power steering pump gti 16v
« Reply #4 on: 08 September 2010, 18:28 »
As above, I had to fit washers as well ... below is an image from a test fit, there is actually only 3x washers on there (about 3mm spacing in total).


Offline Thom89

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,092
  • Looking for an "Icebreaker"
Re: Help - Advice required concerning power steering pump gti 16v
« Reply #5 on: 08 September 2010, 18:32 »
As above, I had to fit washers as well ... below is an image from a test fit, there is actually only 3x washers on there (about 3mm spacing in total).



A familiar sight on 16Vs all over the world....
Thom

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: Help - Advice required concerning power steering pump gti 16v
« Reply #6 on: 08 September 2010, 19:46 »
and 8vs ;)

Offline xkaty_h

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 203
Re: Help - Advice required concerning power steering pump gti 16v
« Reply #7 on: 08 September 2010, 22:03 »
Seems a bit like a Volkswagen fail right there.

Cheers for the help all.

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: Help - Advice required concerning power steering pump gti 16v
« Reply #8 on: 08 September 2010, 22:08 »
Seems a bit like a Volkswagen fail right there.

Cheers for the help all.

More of a retrofitting PAS fail.

Offline clipperjay

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,148
Re: Help - Advice required concerning power steering pump gti 16v
« Reply #9 on: 09 September 2010, 19:46 »
Haaa I've just found the PAS pulley sticks out about 3mm too much inrelation to the main pulley it looks like most people have to space out the PAS I need to space out the main pulley. But my PAS set up came out of the Corrado mmmm I had always though most of the pumps were simular guessing not on this thread?