Author Topic: Front Brake Upgrade Again...  (Read 3082 times)

Offline X4MGS

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,564
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Front Brake Upgrade Again...
« on: 08 September 2010, 16:41 »
I am thinking about fitting a set of Brand New G60 Calipers & 280mm Discs to my Run Out Digi 8V

What I would like to know is - Will I need to put new hubs on ??

Is there a way of checking - measuring - to see if my hubs are ready to just bolt on the Carriers and Calipers....

Ta

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline Mew

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,589
Re: Front Brake Upgrade Again...
« Reply #1 on: 08 September 2010, 16:48 »
If you're current discs are the standard 239mm then yes you will need new hubs.

Visual check would show whether or not the caliper carriers are part of the wheel bearing housing. If they are then they're the 8v hubs, which need to be changed.

Offline jmsheahan

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,147
Re: Front Brake Upgrade Again...
« Reply #2 on: 08 September 2010, 17:07 »
Easiest way to check is to see if the carrier is cast onto the hub i.e standard 8v 239mm.  If it's removable then you have the basic hubs you need.

Offline X4MGS

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,564
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: Front Brake Upgrade Again...
« Reply #3 on: 08 September 2010, 18:38 »
Yeah cast on... So Staying Stock!!

Also due to the fact that my Boge turbo shocks (less that 1k old) are leaking so need new ones....  :angry:  :cry:

This time going wit OEM....  :smiley:

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline jmsheahan

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,147
Re: Front Brake Upgrade Again...
« Reply #4 on: 08 September 2010, 20:10 »
You are going to need the 16v hubs with removable carrier to fit the G60's then.

Offline X4MGS

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,564
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: Front Brake Upgrade Again...
« Reply #5 on: 08 September 2010, 20:17 »
Yeah so I gather... Thanks

They are staying stock...

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline Mr Blue

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 6,133
Re: Front Brake Upgrade Again...
« Reply #6 on: 08 September 2010, 22:10 »
I got my set of robiwil here for a good price.

they were mk3.5 cabrio hubs (4 stud)
mk3 gti (280mm brake version) calipers and carriers
brand new g60 disks and pads.

Bolt on job. Had no problems with the caliper touching the wheel. No need to run thinner pads etc.
Much better braking over the 239's!

I have kept my standard brake master cylinder but after speaking to RJ I think I might upgrade it as this should give me less pedal travel.

budget for lazer wheel alignment, new bearings, track rod ends and other bushes you might need to replace.

:)

Offline X4MGS

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,564
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: Front Brake Upgrade Again...
« Reply #7 on: 09 September 2010, 00:01 »
I have kept my standard brake master cylinder but after speaking to RJ I think I might upgrade it as this should give me less pedal travel.

budget for lazer wheel alignment, new bearings, track rod ends and other bushes you might need to replace.

Which is another reason to leave it stock!!

Its not like my Audi S2 which suffered terrible brake fade... I'v e never has an issue with it, so it's staying standard!!

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline jmsheahan

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,147
Re: Front Brake Upgrade Again...
« Reply #8 on: 09 September 2010, 15:49 »
But 239 8v brakes suck  :lipsrsealed:  :laugh:

Offline X4MGS

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,564
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: Front Brake Upgrade Again...
« Reply #9 on: 09 September 2010, 16:52 »
But 239 8v brakes suck  :lipsrsealed:  :laugh:

Mine Are Fine But they are all OEM and well looked after!!

Like all things If you look after them they should be fine... and as I've said before if I wanna go really fast i'll pop out in the Audi!!! :grin: :grin: :grin:

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!