Author Topic: Trouble starting - fuel takes ages to come through!  (Read 1519 times)

Offline jamie_pyrite

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 901
Trouble starting - fuel takes ages to come through!
« on: 07 September 2010, 14:21 »
90 spec mk2 16v - standard engine with stainless exhaust system.


So it has problems starting in the morning, etc. it has never failed to start at all, but I'll be cranking it and it won't catch at all for a while, then it starts to catch and fires up and idles perfectly, etc. it just takes about 6-7 seconds of cranking before it catches!

Plenty of power in the starter motor, etc. but it just seems like it is taking ages for the fuel to come through? Could it be that it is losing fuel pressure when the car is sat over night, etc. so it is having to pull it through from the tank again?

I have replaced the fuel filter and it hasn't made a difference.

Offline The Mighty Elvi

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,403
  • I'm better than you today.
Re: Trouble starting - fuel takes ages to come through!
« Reply #1 on: 07 September 2010, 18:28 »
Have you checked the dizzy and cap for oil. 

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: Trouble starting - fuel takes ages to come through!
« Reply #2 on: 07 September 2010, 19:19 »
If its a K-jet, it sounds like the WUR isn't operating as it should - not enriching the fuel / supplying the 5th injector as it should.

Fuel pressure is usually built up in a couple of seconds, the accumulator maintains pressure for a short while after the engine is off - but it shouldn't make a difference (if it was faulty) the next morning when trying to start.

Offline raferackstraw

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 904
Re: Trouble starting - fuel takes ages to come through!
« Reply #3 on: 08 September 2010, 00:20 »
i would check cold start injector is working properly, when cold the injector should spray for i think 5-10secs, this helps fuel the engine when its cold on starting, that short time its spraying allows system to get up to  pressure and wur to start doing its thang. unbolt injector and put it in a jar and see if it sprays and for how long when cranking cold engine

wayne gardner smokes one rothmans too many
500cc 2stroke bad for ya health

Offline jamie_pyrite

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 901
Re: Trouble starting - fuel takes ages to come through!
« Reply #4 on: 08 September 2010, 18:54 »
Cheers guys, I'll get it tested at the weekend :) The blue plug casing for the CSV has a crack in so I'll make sure that it's ok, etc.

How do I test the WUR? (Yes it's k-jet :) )

Offline raferackstraw

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 904
Re: Trouble starting - fuel takes ages to come through!
« Reply #5 on: 09 September 2010, 12:47 »
you need a guage to test the pressures and wur, check the csv first and check it gets voltage at the plug, voltage should stop after 5-10 secs

google cis diagnostics

wayne gardner smokes one rothmans too many
500cc 2stroke bad for ya health