Author Topic: Golf MK2 8V - Its Smoking...!!  (Read 8631 times)

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: Golf MK2 8V - Its Smoking...!!
« Reply #10 on: 05 September 2010, 00:12 »
OHV = overhead valves ... its still the same as OHC or DOHC when the cam is gone :)
« Last Edit: 05 September 2010, 00:14 by Ben Lessani »


Offline lingl9z

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 172
Re: Golf MK2 8V - Its Smoking...!!
« Reply #12 on: 05 September 2010, 00:20 »
That guide looks pretty handy although I'm sure I can still stuff it up! I guess if I can get the bus to work I might aswell clean up all my inlet mani/rocker cober etc - I guess if I just do the stem seals etc that should be enough to stop it smoking / oil burning yeah? quick Q how can you tell weather it's stem seals or ring lands for example? (bare in mind I've no power loss and as far as I can see it's smoking mainly while at idle in traffic etc)

Cheers Rich.

Offline weazgti

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 955
Re: Golf MK2 8V - Its Smoking...!!
« Reply #13 on: 05 September 2010, 00:22 »
Oh ok thanks for clearing that up ben  :wink:

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: Golf MK2 8V - Its Smoking...!!
« Reply #14 on: 05 September 2010, 00:26 »
That guide looks pretty handy although I'm sure I can still stuff it up! I guess if I can get the bus to work I might aswell clean up all my inlet mani/rocker cober etc - I guess if I just do the stem seals etc that should be enough to stop it smoking / oil burning yeah? quick Q how can you tell weather it's stem seals or ring lands for example? (bare in mind I've no power loss and as far as I can see it's smoking mainly while at idle in traffic etc)

Cheers Rich.

Usually, the stem seals will leak down whenever the car is idle. So if you park the car overnight, then start it in the morning and there's a big cloud of smoke, it usually indicates stem seals. The same rule applies if you are sat at a set of traffic lights and go to pull away, and there is an accompanying cloud!

I test rings using a compression tester. Do a dry compression test, then put a teaspoon of oil down the spark hole and repeat (this is called a wet compression test). If the compression is noticeably higher - its a sign the rings are worn.

Stem seals are quick and easy. Rings require a reasonable amount of strip-down, honing, de-glazing and possible re-boring (not so much of a DIY job).

Offline lingl9z

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 172
Re: Golf MK2 8V - Its Smoking...!!
« Reply #15 on: 05 September 2010, 00:33 »
I see... hmmm! I'm hoping it is the stem seals but thinking about it, it could be the rings since the car smokes lightly on idle (not a huge fog or anything) but then I guess it could just be the oil that's left in the exhaust when I've driven and come to a stand still? Will see if I can either get a compression kit or get someone to do it for me! If it's the rings would it be cheaper to simply replace the whole engine?

thanks for the help buddy, seem very helpful - I guess worse case if replacing the stem seals don't sort it then it's got to be the rings and would be easier/cheaper to get a replacement block? now on to the next question and sorry to high jack your thread btw - Can you replace rings with the block still in the car?

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: Golf MK2 8V - Its Smoking...!!
« Reply #16 on: 05 September 2010, 00:37 »
Quote
Can you replace rings with the block still in the car?

Yes.

Quote
If it's the rings would it be cheaper to simply replace the whole engine

Depends on how cheap you can get a whole engine (and if it is shagged or not!)

Quote
Will see if I can either get a compression kit or get someone to do it for me!

They're £20 from Halfords, buy one and put it in your toolbox, its cheap and useful.

Offline lingl9z

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 172
Re: Golf MK2 8V - Its Smoking...!!
« Reply #17 on: 05 September 2010, 00:38 »
Thanks for that Ben, your an asset to this site! I'll pop down to halfords at some point and see what I can do!

Offline chana22

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 18
  • Vw Golf GTi 8V
Re: Golf MK2 8V - Its Smoking...!!
« Reply #18 on: 06 September 2010, 21:05 »
no not hi-jacking at all. your asking all the questions i need answers to

ben...your a star..thank you very much!

and thanks lingl9z for your input...a great help!

Offline lingl9z

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 172
Re: Golf MK2 8V - Its Smoking...!!
« Reply #19 on: 06 September 2010, 21:40 »
thanks chana22 :) got me one step closer to sorting this! even if I've opted to get the bus to work until it's sorted! :P