Author Topic: Master Lock Button  (Read 3901 times)

Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327
Master Lock Button
« on: 04 September 2010, 00:31 »
I want to create a button that ide add to my dashboard that will activate my central locking, I have a Rclick central locking kit hooked up already, Im guessing that this plan involves finding a fairly standard button and wiring it up to certain wires coming from the master solenoid?

Any input or advice anyone?



Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: Master Lock Button
« Reply #1 on: 04 September 2010, 00:39 »
On most universal CL kits, there's a 2 wire system (brown+white on mine) that allows alarm systems to piggyback.

You can also just bridge the same two wires with a push-to-close button to trigger the lock/unlock.

Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327
Re: Master Lock Button
« Reply #2 on: 04 September 2010, 08:04 »
ah ok, I have those wires on mine too,

So how would I do that? what is it to bridge?  :undecided:
 :laugh:

Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327
Re: Master Lock Button
« Reply #3 on: 04 September 2010, 08:13 »
im thinking a good idea for what button to use would be a pre 90 spec hazard switch, think that could work?

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: Master Lock Button
« Reply #4 on: 04 September 2010, 12:11 »
You could pretty much use any OEM switch you wanted - you'll need a multimeter to get the pinout. But you ideally want one with a sprung return as a non-latching switch is what you need.

Easiest thing is to get a push button from Maplin and mount it in a dash blank.

Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327
Re: Master Lock Button
« Reply #5 on: 04 September 2010, 12:18 »
hmm, just searched maplin and found nothing, any idea how to find such a thing?

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: Master Lock Button
« Reply #6 on: 04 September 2010, 12:25 »

Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327
Re: Master Lock Button
« Reply #7 on: 04 September 2010, 15:13 »
lol, cheers, well ive bought one, it has two spades on the back, do I connect the brown and white wires to then?

Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327
Re: Master Lock Button
« Reply #8 on: 04 September 2010, 15:54 »
as I understand it, the white wire is lock and if grounded the doors will lock, and the brown wire is unlock and if grounded the doors will unlock.

Im very confused as to how this button will be able to pull this off with only two spades...

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: Master Lock Button
« Reply #9 on: 04 September 2010, 23:46 »
Just connect the two together ...