Author Topic: Cylinder Head?  (Read 2715 times)

Offline weazgti

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 955
Re: Cylinder Head?
« Reply #10 on: 04 September 2010, 23:19 »
Same thing iwas worried about. I saw a pic with someone on here just releasing the belt off the cam pulley and tying it up so it didnt come off the crank pulley.I did the same using a jump lead to hold the belt up after lining the mark on the head.
Refitting was just a case of lining the one mark up again. It was out on the intermiediate shaft which is the one under the cam pully but that was only a case of re doing the ignition timing.
I struggle with easier jobs so was sh*tting it with this but when it was done and it fired 1st time i gained so much more confidence in doing things.

Offline lingl9z

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 172
Re: Cylinder Head?
« Reply #11 on: 04 September 2010, 23:30 »
Yeah that's true, I guess once it's done I'll be glad I tried it myself, unless I fudge it up :( then it's got good! I guess if I make it all up shouldnt be a problem but what about when fitting a different head?

Offline weazgti

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 955
Re: Cylinder Head?
« Reply #12 on: 04 September 2010, 23:37 »
Should be fine if you get the engine top dead centre,pull the belt off then put the new head on with the mark lined up on the new head.
I ll try to find the pic.

Offline lingl9z

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 172
Re: Cylinder Head?
« Reply #13 on: 04 September 2010, 23:48 »
If you could mate that would be awesome and a great help! :)

Offline weazgti

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 955
Re: Cylinder Head?
« Reply #14 on: 05 September 2010, 00:01 »
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=128884.msg1146842#msg1146842

Found the link but the one pic i was after aint there, might give you some idea though.

Offline lingl9z

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 172
Re: Cylinder Head?
« Reply #15 on: 05 September 2010, 00:10 »
Nice one that gives a rough idea buddy! I guess once I've taken the first big step and start getting bits off I should get it done!! :P (I hope )

Offline DOA

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 582
Re: Cylinder Head?
« Reply #16 on: 05 September 2010, 17:09 »
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=20498.20 for the bentley manual online or do a google for a haynes manual to download or even go to the extreme of buying a haynes manual. The exhaust removal and confidence factor are the hardest parts of the job but make sure you have every part and tool you might need before you start the work!

Offline lingl9z

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 172
Re: Cylinder Head?
« Reply #17 on: 05 September 2010, 18:24 »
Cheers DOA, I have a Haynes manual some where just got to find it, the exhaust manifold or the whole system got to come off? thanks for that

Offline DOA

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 582
Re: Cylinder Head?
« Reply #18 on: 06 September 2010, 19:47 »
Just the manifold at the head plus all the inlet etc etc. As I think you said earlier, lots of pre-application of WD40 or plusgas on the studs/bolts for the manifold plus a scrub off of the inevitable crud on them with a wire brush if you can will help a lot.

Offline lingl9z

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 172
Re: Cylinder Head?
« Reply #19 on: 06 September 2010, 21:41 »
Cheers for that buddy :) shouldnt be long before I get it sorted hopefully! thanks for all your help!