Author Topic: Cylinder Head?  (Read 2724 times)

Offline lingl9z

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 172
Cylinder Head?
« on: 03 September 2010, 18:25 »
Hi guys i've been offered a ported and polished head for my Mk2 GTI 16v and was wondering how much it'd cost roughtly for someone to simply swap it over? (bare inmind the head has everything in already aswell as being skimmed - Also how hard isit to DIY bare in mind I've not done it before?

Rich.

Offline Thom89

  • Forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 4,092
  • Looking for an "Icebreaker"
Re: Cylinder Head?
« Reply #1 on: 03 September 2010, 18:44 »
Before you fit the head, get it crack tested, It could be a pile of scrap! a reasonable mechanic should take around 3-4 hours to swap it over, so somewhere between £100-£150ish should see it done with the bits and vat on top
Also bare in mind that the work that has been carried out to the head, may not be the best set up for the rest of your engine! but you wont know till tried :rolleyes:
Thom

Offline lingl9z

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 172
Re: Cylinder Head?
« Reply #2 on: 03 September 2010, 18:46 »
that's not too bad I guess, crack tested? how do i do that ? and thanks buddy.

Offline dannydubs

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 620
  • mk2 gti,mk3 wagon,mk5gti
Re: Cylinder Head?
« Reply #3 on: 03 September 2010, 20:17 »
i did one the other day took me a hour fella do it your self dnt be afraid :tongue:

.....the project.........

Offline lingl9z

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 172
Re: Cylinder Head?
« Reply #4 on: 03 September 2010, 22:28 »
Lol I'd attempt it and the car won't start! if someone was here to guide me through it maybe lol :P come do mine!! :)

Offline dannydubs

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 620
  • mk2 gti,mk3 wagon,mk5gti
Re: Cylinder Head?
« Reply #5 on: 03 September 2010, 22:34 »
its a piece of piss you cant go wrong

.....the project.........

Offline lingl9z

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 172
Re: Cylinder Head?
« Reply #6 on: 03 September 2010, 23:16 »
I'm a newb at this kinda thing though and my golfs my daily driver so would need it done in a day (knowing me I'll come accross some problem! :(

Offline lingl9z

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 172
Re: Cylinder Head?
« Reply #7 on: 04 September 2010, 18:57 »
If I can get the head think I might attempt this my self is there a guide to doing this anywhere and what tools will I need? If I can get away with getting the bus to work for a lil while then I don't mind attempting and taking a while! =)

Offline weazgti

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 955
Re: Cylinder Head?
« Reply #8 on: 04 September 2010, 22:46 »
Heh. know the feeling bout not coming across a problem cos its your daily, it allways goes wrong for me.
Your biggest problem will be the exhaust,you can undo the manifold but its a squeeze for your hands and tools because you ll have to take the inlet manifold off aswell or you can go for the downpipe which is 6 bolts i think.Either way they re gonna be a pain in the ass to get off.When i did mine i took it to a garage to get the downpipe  bolts loosened which resulted in 2 snapping even with heat on them.
Not the end of the world though i just took the manifold with the snapped ones in(once the head was off) to someone who could heat them and get them out. Vw stock the nuts and bolts luckily.
Youll need a big allen headed tool or star drive for the head bolts cant remember what size though sure someone will tell you and you ll also need to think bout what you re gonna do with the cambelt when you go to remove head.I tied mine up so i didnt have to remove it completely although the intermediate shaft was out afterwards which meant i had to do the ignition timing again,not so bad though.
I had never done one before and i m just sharing my problems with you so you know whats involved and maybe plan it out so you dont get stuck with no car. It is a piece of piss but only after you ve done it and you know how to do the next one.
I spent bout 1hr 30 getting head off after the downpipe bolts were loosened and the rest was just faffing about taking the manifolds off the head in my kitchen and replacing the gaskets.
Anyway if your gonna do it,good luck stick with it.

Offline lingl9z

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 172
Re: Cylinder Head?
« Reply #9 on: 04 September 2010, 22:51 »
Cheers for that write up mate, really helpful indeed, I think before I attempt it I will soak all the nuts/bolts in question in WD40 so I  can crack them open slightly easier! My only problem with stuff like this is a lack of confidence in my self if I had someone watching it'd be a bit less stressful so if I mess up someones there - In regards to the bit im actually worried about is the timing belt / timing, annoyingly I only just had the belt changed! If i set the timing belt up wrong it could result in me doing my valves in right? :(
« Last Edit: 04 September 2010, 22:53 by lingl9z »