Author Topic: 1.4 aex engine- piston slap- quoted 600 for new engine is it worth it???  (Read 3016 times)

Offline joehb10

• Not said much yet
As the title says, my golf 1.4 1997 has some loud knocking in the block. took it to my local garage and was told i need 4 new pistons, and that it would be cheaper to fit a donor engine.

Have been quoted 600 to source and fit the engine.

Just want to know if thats reasonable?

I brought the golf last week and its superb apart from the knocking and the starter is dying too... but its in excellent condition. However it seems that the last owner or the one before drove it a bit like a nutter....!

Thanks, J

Offline tsr_adi

• I live here
Thats seems a bit uneconomical to spend 600quid on that when you can go out and buy the same car again for that money. You'd easily get a donor engine for circa 100quid, if you aren't in a position to replace the engine yourself I'd go get some quotes to fit an engine for you. But be prepared for most garages to insist on a cambelt kit at the very least. If you get your own engine and get a garage to fit it for you, I reckon you can nearly half that 600quid bill

PS if your local to Lincoln I'l fit an engine for £100 quid

Offline joehb10

• Not said much yet
thanks for the rply... im not sure really as i really dont think ill get a more decent mk3 1.4 golf specimen than the one ive got, plus the car only cost me 400 quid so i think i had the extra costs coming to me anyway. but i know also that ppaying 400 quid for it then spending 600 quid on the engine is a bit silly... hmm.

im in london so not too near lincoln really... plus i really need the car for work too... i would have thought that a cam belt kitworld come with the engine wouldnt it? wouldnt it be already fitted to the new engine?...

J

Offline tsr_adi

• I live here
If the garage are sourcing an engine for you, it'l be from a scrappy, then they'l add on a fair wack on top of what they paid for it, its there way of making money. It always works out cheaper for you to source your own engine. If they were to get one from VW you'd be looking at a bill of thousands! An engine from a scrapyard will definately want a cambelt kit fitting, as you won't know the history of the car and most garages will insist on fitting a kit, cuz if the belt snaps a mile or two after you take the car back they don't want any comebacks.

I'd ring round your local breakers for an engine (they were fitted to mk4 polos too), you should get one for 100quid or so. Cambelt kit from local motor factors will set you back around 50quid, also a water pump is advised, theyre about 15-20quid. Also a clutch maybe worth fitting depending on the wear on yours (about 70quid) Then any decent garage (around here, london may cost more) should charge around 150-200quid to fit an engine in your car, don't be ripped off, an engine can be replaced in a day on these as its not at all difficult as the whole front end can be removed in an hour, unbolt/unwire everything, wheel the engine out on a skateboard, wheel new engine in, bolt back up.
Its up to you, but I'd defo source your own engine, then at least you'l have more of an idea of its history/milage.

Offline joehb10

• Not said much yet
Thanks for the sound advice.

i think what im going to do is ask around about prices for the job, and ask my local guy about what is included in that 600 too. then go from there.

if i had the time,i definately would source my own engine, and go that route as it makes sense. i just havent got the time though (or the patience)! and need the car running reliably asap. So im going to hunt around for a cheaper quote. right now though, im still driving it with its knocking, and honestly, after my last car (peugeot 106 1.1 1993), this cars amazing! i mean the pug did me no wrong for the whole 2 years i owned it, and was superb driver for its year, but this is another level...

thanks again for your reply you really helped me out mate.. j

Offline tsr_adi

• I live here
no probs, just don't like to see people getting ripped off when theres a cheaper way!

Offline joehb10

• Not said much yet
one more thing-

do you think its even worth sorting out?... i mean, i want to keep the car for a couple of years. Could i just drive it around with the slap for that long?... its fairly loud, even after warming up... but its apparently been slapping for a year and half already...?...

j

Offline tsr_adi

• I live here
I'd get it sorted mate, but don't leave it too long, otherwise you might end up with a con rod through the block and a big oily mess....

Its only worth doing if the cars in good condition and lots of MOT, as 1400 golfs are ten a penny and not expensive to replace. If it does go pop you can always break your car for parts and make most of your money back...

Offline joehb10

• Not said much yet
thanks again... i will sort it out asap!

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
Pick up a s/h engine, much better bet.

Also knocking is more a bearing noise to be honest.