Author Topic: Electric Window fittage  (Read 2482 times)

Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327
Electric Window fittage
« on: 31 August 2010, 16:04 »
Have already searched but haven't found the specific answers that I want :p

So Im getting electric windows and I just want to be clear on what I need to ask the guy to take out of his car to send to me.

Theyre coming out of a 90 spec 5 door and going into the very same, So I need all the parts from the door, the fascia and switches, this much i know.

Now wiring, what do I need and how easy is it to remove and then refit?

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Electric Window fittage
« Reply #1 on: 31 August 2010, 16:16 »
you need just the regulators, switches and wiring, thats it. start at the switches, follow thew wiring. it will run to both window motors, plus there will be a bit to the fusebox. if its a proper vag loom, there will be a fuse and relay.

once removed you should have a live feed, ign live and an earth thats it.  only thing is if car also has elec tric mirrors and/or central locking/speakers the wiring for this will be bundled in with the electric window loom, but you should be able to sort this out easily enough.
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327
Re: Electric Window fittage
« Reply #2 on: 31 August 2010, 16:25 »
you need just the regulators, switches and wiring, thats it. start at the switches, follow thew wiring. it will run to both window motors, plus there will be a bit to the fusebox. if its a proper vag loom, there will be a fuse and relay.

once removed you should have a live feed, ign live and an earth thats it.  only thing is if car also has elec tric mirrors and/or central locking/speakers the wiring for this will be bundled in with the electric window loom, but you should be able to sort this out easily enough.

ah so does the loom detach from the fuse box separately with its fuse and relay without any cutting or anythign liek that, as I think thats this guys concern about it.

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Electric Window fittage
« Reply #3 on: 31 August 2010, 16:31 »
earth plugs into the claw, live will be pushed onto a spade connection on the fusebox. ign live will need top be cut if its a post-90.  if its a car being broken for spares, you could pull the plug out of the fusebox then use a sharp knife to cut it till the pin comes out, then pop it into your fusebox in same spot.

it'll be plug D/9 or D/11, see my fusebox faq for piccies of the back etc :)

oh, and there is a lock clip on the driver side of fusebox which runs down the middle of the fusebox, you need to pop this across to release all the locking tabs on the fusebox plugs. hope that makes sense :)
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327
Re: Electric Window fittage
« Reply #4 on: 31 August 2010, 16:37 »
ok this is ringing bells from last time I did it now,

If I get him to just cut the ign live out, can I salvage a way of wiring it up when I get it?

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Electric Window fittage
« Reply #5 on: 31 August 2010, 16:44 »
most 90spec mk2s have a random spare ign live black wire hanging out of the D plug, you could splice into that :)
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327
Re: Electric Window fittage
« Reply #6 on: 31 August 2010, 16:49 »
most 90spec mk2s have a random spare ign live black wire hanging out of the D plug, you could splice into that :)

ah, good plan :D

Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327
Re: Electric Window fittage
« Reply #7 on: 31 August 2010, 17:01 »
where abouts are the fuse and relay?

Offline X4MGS

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,564
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
Re: Electric Window fittage
« Reply #8 on: 31 August 2010, 21:39 »
My Relay & Fuses are next to the Switches in the Center Console...

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327
Re: Electric Window fittage
« Reply #9 on: 31 August 2010, 22:08 »
My Relay & Fuses are next to the Switches in the Center Console...

ah ok, cheers :)