Author Topic: exhaust  (Read 1034 times)

Offline bosco

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 212
exhaust
« on: 31 August 2010, 00:12 »
hi my mk2 1.6 exhaust is gone and was wondering what one to get? should i just replace it with a standard 1.6 mk2 exhaust or what? id kinda like something with added grunt?
1990 mk2 1.6 daily
1990 20v turbo project learning as I go

Offline Neo Badness

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,780
  • Feet are for pedals
Re: exhaust
« Reply #1 on: 31 August 2010, 10:27 »
Actual grunt? or something that makes noise? these are two very different beasts. you could fit a gti system but will need a reducer as the driver is a smaller diametre iirc. Back box will change the sound but not much else. Go too big and you will loose back pressure and thus torque. It's a balancing act and loads of R&D went into it, but you can always do what I did when I had my first driver and cobble together bits of exhaust out the scraps bin(free), teaching yourself to weld in the process :grin: I then bought an Ashley universal back box. Sounded fierce :grin:

You don't own a Mk2, you support it.

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: exhaust
« Reply #2 on: 31 August 2010, 10:55 »
if you fit a 1.8 carby downpipe a gti system will fit straight on, but probably wont see too much gain as you still have the restriction at the manifold. you can however fit the gti manifold and downpipe, though space is limited back there. if you split the manifold and downpipe it should go in ok though. this will see a noticeable benefit, I put a complete gti system on my driver and it mas better, little quicker and more happy to rev :)

only trouble is actually getting the manifold off, one of my studs rusted away to a small lump and in the end i had to have the head off to drill it out. ended up a good thing because most of the coolant holes in the head were clogged up wi crud
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.