Author Topic: Mk2 16v o2y green gearbox cap  (Read 4063 times)

Offline Reasty

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,070
  • Alpine white valver.
Mk2 16v o2y green gearbox cap
« on: 30 August 2010, 12:09 »
I need to take my end cap off of my gearbox to replace the thrust bearing (which I already have) but have been advised that once the cap is removed it cannot be used again so I need to buy a new one,does anyone know where I can get one as I'm having no luck finding one so far.
It's a 1990 16v with a o2y box with green cap.
Any help would be much appriciated  :smiley:

Cheers
« Last Edit: 30 August 2010, 12:26 by Reasty »

Offline Neo Badness

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,780
  • Feet are for pedals
Re: Mk2 16v o2y green gearbox cap
« Reply #1 on: 30 August 2010, 12:48 »
I'm not a 100%, but iirc reading somewhere that people have people have reused them successfully?

Have you tried brokevw? or missing linkz?

 

You don't own a Mk2, you support it.

Offline raferackstraw

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 904
Re: Mk2 16v o2y green gearbox cap
« Reply #2 on: 30 August 2010, 14:52 »
broke vw advises a new one, try tes engines in darenth they rebuild gboxes so should be able to supply the cap
http://www.theengineshop.info/

wayne gardner smokes one rothmans too many
500cc 2stroke bad for ya health

Offline Reasty

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,070
  • Alpine white valver.
Re: Mk2 16v o2y green gearbox cap
« Reply #3 on: 30 August 2010, 15:25 »
Cheers lads,will look into it  :smiley:

Offline Bigdunc

  • Here all the time
  • ****
  • Posts: 344
Re: Mk2 16v o2y green gearbox cap
« Reply #4 on: 30 August 2010, 15:27 »
I seen them on ebay

Offline Carnie

  • Not said much yet
  • **
  • Posts: 76
Re: Mk2 16v o2y green gearbox cap
« Reply #5 on: 30 August 2010, 19:38 »
Theyre like £4 from the dealers as i got one a few weeks ago,its near impossible to reuse it and not worth the risk as it needs to be a perfect fit or itll leak.

Offline Wayne

  • Sir Postalot
  • *
  • Posts: 32,051
Re: Mk2 16v o2y green gearbox cap
« Reply #6 on: 30 August 2010, 20:53 »
As above, pick up a genuine one.

Offline Neo Badness

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,780
  • Feet are for pedals
Re: Mk2 16v o2y green gearbox cap
« Reply #7 on: 31 August 2010, 10:29 »
Theyre like £4 from the dealers as i got one a few weeks ago,its near impossible to reuse it and not worth the risk as it needs to be a perfect fit or itll leak.

Cool, got a part number?

You don't own a Mk2, you support it.

Offline rubjonny

  • 10k hero
  • *
  • Posts: 16,349
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Mk2 16v o2y green gearbox cap
« Reply #8 on: 31 August 2010, 10:36 »
gsf sell em too, work just fine bought loads of em over the years:
193VG0110 Gearbox end plate      £  3.25

or if you want vw one:
020 141 073 A - 5.17+VAT
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline Reasty

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,070
  • Alpine white valver.
Re: Mk2 16v o2y green gearbox cap
« Reply #9 on: 31 August 2010, 12:33 »
All sorted! Picked one up this morning from my local vw dealers,was £6  :smiley: just hope replacing the thrust bearing sorts the problem out now!