Author Topic: Loosing a silencer ?  (Read 2599 times)

Offline emery1990

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,196
Loosing a silencer ?
« on: 29 August 2010, 20:43 »
Ive noticed that the silencer on my downpipe/ first silencer has got a bit of rust on it in the corner, i proded it and it made a hole, im debating whether getting a stainless copy of my downpipe done, if i was to loose this silencer would it be alot louder? As i wasnt planning on doing anything with the downpipe id want to keep costs down, or are the silencers cheap anyway?

Offline Diamond Hell

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,992
  • Opinions я Us
Re: Loosing a silencer ?
« Reply #1 on: 29 August 2010, 20:49 »
It'll be fine - replace with a section of tube.  It might boom a little from time to time, but if it gets too much step up to a replacement box.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline emery1990

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,196
Re: Loosing a silencer ?
« Reply #2 on: 30 August 2010, 10:39 »
Agh ok good, cheers.

Offline emery1990

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,196
Re: Loosing a silencer ?
« Reply #3 on: 30 August 2010, 21:03 »
I know danny_p answered my question about using an arc welder on the car, but is it  physically impossible to use an arc welder on cars? Just needs to weld in the piece tube myself instead of paying someone to do it which to them may only take half an hour or something, or should be best to hire a mig welder for a few hours.

Also what thickness is the piping ?
« Last Edit: 30 August 2010, 21:31 by emery1990 »

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: Loosing a silencer ?
« Reply #4 on: 30 August 2010, 22:32 »
I know danny_p answered my question about using an arc welder on the car, but is it  physically impossible to use an arc welder on cars? Just needs to weld in the piece tube myself instead of paying someone to do it which to them may only take half an hour or something, or should be best to hire a mig welder for a few hours.

Also what thickness is the piping ?

Eh? As long as your car is metal and not fibreglass, I can't see why you would have any problem using an arc welder.

MIG is usually more suitable that's all, you might find Arc will blow through pretty easily (depending on your competence)

Exhaust pipe is usually about 1.5 mm thick (18/16 gauge).

Offline Diamond Hell

  • Serious forum addict
  • *
  • Posts: 7,992
  • Opinions я Us
Re: Loosing a silencer ?
« Reply #5 on: 31 August 2010, 15:35 »
Expect holes unless you're REALLY good with arc.  :grin:
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline emery1990

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,196
Re: Loosing a silencer ?
« Reply #6 on: 31 August 2010, 17:08 »
Thats prob why he didnt recommend using the arc welder! Guessing pipe doesnt costs alot, surely a meter cant cost more than a couple of quid? then ill just buy a couple of meters to see if i can get the jist of it, if not then ill go mig, gunna be tricky though as it goes into the silencer with two pipes then out with one so im going to have to have a chop about anyway.!

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: Loosing a silencer ?
« Reply #7 on: 31 August 2010, 18:40 »
I got a 2m length of tin a while back for £4 IIRC. The surface rust after 1 month was crazy, but it lasted me the year I ran it until I swapped to stainless.

I managed to repair a metal water pipe with arc a while back - so it is possible on thin metal, you just have to be pretty delicate - you can't let a pool build up properly, you have to build it up over and over - its slow and tedious, looks crap, but will work.

Offline emery1990

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,196
Re: Loosing a silencer ?
« Reply #8 on: 31 August 2010, 18:47 »
Ok cheers mate, ill give it a try with an arc welder then, is the "tin" actual tin lol or is that what the exhaust are actually made of? you can protect it though cant you with high temp paints? bit on a budget atm while i repairs it.!

Offline Ben Lessani

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,873
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Re: Loosing a silencer ?
« Reply #9 on: 31 August 2010, 22:13 »
I'm pretty sure normal exhausts are made of mild steel.

And yeah, it was actual tin ...