Author Topic: weber  (Read 3135 times)

Offline bosco

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 212
weber
« on: 29 August 2010, 13:38 »
i currently have a 1.6 carb and was thinking about changing to a weber. is this hard?
thanks
1990 mk2 1.6 daily
1990 20v turbo project learning as I go

Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327
Re: weber
« Reply #1 on: 29 August 2010, 13:43 »
i currently have a 1.6 carb and was thinking about changing to a weber. is this hard?
thanks

its not hard so long as you get all the bits, but a correctly set up pierburg is better ;)

Offline bosco

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 212
Re: weber
« Reply #2 on: 29 August 2010, 13:45 »
cool so youd recommend a pierburg one then
1990 mk2 1.6 daily
1990 20v turbo project learning as I go

Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327
Re: weber
« Reply #3 on: 29 August 2010, 13:47 »
cool so youd recommend a pierburg one then

Yeh you should already have one unless someones changed it, its probably not working properly tho, they rarely are if theyre not kept an eye on.

You can do a pretty good deal on ebay where you pay for a guy to send you a perfectly set up refurbished one and you send back your old one.

not sure hes still on there but i did that every time I got a 1.6, before the gti days :D

Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327
Re: weber
« Reply #4 on: 29 August 2010, 13:51 »
If your looking to boost the performance of a 1.6 then I recommend a gti head, it isnt as daunting a job as it sounds, I managed it and i have very little knowledge of cars, the hardest part is doing the timing afterwards.  it gives you the gti cam and bigger valves, really good improvement :)

Offline bosco

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 212
Re: weber
« Reply #5 on: 29 August 2010, 16:12 »
i might look into that. gti head instead of a weber or pierburg yeah?
1990 mk2 1.6 daily
1990 20v turbo project learning as I go

Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327
Re: weber
« Reply #6 on: 29 August 2010, 16:26 »
i might look into that. gti head instead of a weber or pierburg yeah?

What carb have you got on there now?  it should be a pierburg 2e2, if it isnt, then get one either way, theyre the standard carb for a 1.6 tho.

For the head swap you just need a decent gti head, youl need to drill a hole in the back for the coolant channel from the manifold to the carb but thats alot easier than it sounds cause its marked on the head where the hole should be. the only other problem is the injectors, you can either weld something over them or just leave them in, I left them in and never had any problems, just depends how tidy you want it to look :p

 


Offline bosco

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 212
Re: weber
« Reply #7 on: 29 August 2010, 16:51 »
yeah its a pierburg 2e2 but i think its fairly knackered so was thinking about replacing it. would gti heads be fairly common? no where i could get one?
1990 mk2 1.6 daily
1990 20v turbo project learning as I go

Offline Haribo!

  • I live here
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,327
Re: weber
« Reply #8 on: 29 August 2010, 17:07 »
Get a replacement 2e2 or find someone that knows their way round one to set it up and check if anything needs replacing, they're so good when they work properly.

As for the head, best bet is to put an ad in the wanted section and keep an eye on the for sale sections, have a look on ebay too.

Maybe see if there's any VW breakers in your area.

Get on the search and look up info there as I had a few threads on it while I was doing it, There was some very useful advice and info handed to me that you could make use of :)

Offline bosco

  • GTI forum regular
  • ***
  • Posts: 212
Re: weber
« Reply #9 on: 29 August 2010, 17:57 »
thanks man il look at that and see what i can dig up. cheers for the help
1990 mk2 1.6 daily
1990 20v turbo project learning as I go